Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

New operator chosen for ‘jewel in the crown’ Llancaiach Fawr

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 15:54, Wednesday July 30th, 2025.
Last updated: 11:05, Monday August 4th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Llancaiach Fawr manor
Llancaiach Fawr was mothballed last year

A new operator has been identified to run Llancaiach Fawr, Caerphilly County Borough Council has announced.

The news follows a behind-closed-doors meeting held today (Wednesday July 30) at the local authority’s headquarters.

“The future looks bright for Llancaiach Fawr Manor House in Nelson with the announcement that a preferred operator has been selected to run the popular venue going forward,” a council spokesperson said.

The heritage site, described by supporters as the “jewel in the crown” of the borough, has been closed since late 2024.

The council decided to “mothball” the venue, which it was subsidising with £485,000 annually, while a new operator was found.

The move proved controversial among supporters of the venue, who branded the decision a “retrograde step” and “tantamount to cultural vandalism”.

But the council argued an “alternative delivery model” would allow Llancaiach Fawr to continue running “without the need for a £500,000 annual subsidy”.

“A number of interested parties submitted expressions of interest as part of a formal selection process and the council’s cabinet has now approved the preferred bidder, subject to finalising detailed lease agreements,” its spokesman said.

“The council will update the community with details of the successful bidder and their exciting plans for Llancaiach Fawr in due course,” they added.

Originally built in the 16th Century and later updated in the 17th Century, the Grade I listed building has gone through many transformations and historical events over the past 450 years.

In 2016 it celebrated 25 years as a tourist attraction and had at the time welcomed in excess of 1.5 million visitors.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.