Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

New apartments in Cardiff’s tallest building nearly completed

News | Ted Peskett - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 09:59, Thursday August 7th, 2025.
Last updated: 09:59, Thursday August 7th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

The nearly completed Guildford Crescent apartments in Cardiff
The nearly completed Guildford Crescent apartments in Cardiff

A historic part of Cardiff has changed forever as work on the city’s new tallest building looks like it’s nearly finished.

The development of apartments at Guildford Crescent has been one of Cardiff’s more controversial planning sagas.

When plans for the 30-storey tower were revealed, there was strong opposition from members of the community who feared for the future of the historic buildings on site and the popular bars and restaurants which called them home.

In 2024, the council decided not to take action against the firm behind the development, GT Guildford Crescent Limited, after the historic façades of buildings were knocked down without planning permission the year before.

It was argued at the time that the developers already had plans to rebuild the sections it demolished.

When the Guildford Crescent scheme was approved in 2021, it was proposed the façade of the buildings would be retained and the original pitched roofs would be reconstructed.

Buildings that will change Cardiff’s skyline nearing completion

An application to amend the application to allow the demolition and rebuilding of the Guildford Crescent façade was lodged in August 2023.

Cardiff Council said it was told on September 5, 2023, that the façade had been demolished.

The local authority also said at the time that the move was in breach of planning rules and ordered the developer to cease all demolition works.

A planning report published later in July 2024 stated: “As noted earlier in the report… in cases where unauthorised demolition has occurred, the only formal remedy to such a breach of planning control is through service of an enforcement notice requiring that the building is rebuilt.

“Any such notice would need to include detailed plans/specifications, and a time limit by which time such actions must be undertaken.

Demolition plan set out for ’empty and unused’ office near Caerphilly Castle

“The developer has, however, demonstrated through this current application that they have every intention of rebuilding the terrace as part of their development, together with negotiated ‘uplift’/enhancements – all of which are identified in detailed plans/specifications, and would form part of conditions on a subsequent approval.

“Any formal action would, therefore, only be seeking to require them to implement on site the details contained within this current application – which officers have already deemed acceptable above.”

The construction firm behind Guildford Crescent, Galliford Try, has been contacted for an update on when the new building, set to provide 272 private rented apartments, will open.

A topping out ceremony was held for the site in June 2025.

Before it topped out, the tallest building in Cardiff was the Gramercy Tower on Curran Road at 28 storeys high.

Plans have been revealed for another building in Cardiff city centre which would be 50 storeys in height. Once completed, it would be the tallest building in Wales.

‘Dawn of a new chapter’: Parish Trust opens community hub and new home

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

LDRS

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.