Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Planners turn down shopkeeper’s takeaway bid

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 14:38, Wednesday August 13th, 2025.
Last updated: 14:38, Wednesday August 13th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Premier Pricedown Stores, Meadow Crescent, Pontymister, pictured in September 2023. The new entrance of the proposed takeaway would be at the left
Premier Pricedown Stores, Meadow Crescent, Pontymister

Council planners have rejected a Pontymister shopkeeper’s proposals to open a takeaway on part of his premises.

An existing storage area at Premier Pricedown Stores, on Meadow Crescent, had been proposed for conversion into a separate fast food unit.

Applicant Satnam Singh Dang said three jobs would be created at the takeaway if the plans were approved.

But Caerphilly County Borough Council officers rejected the application for planning permission over parking and ventilation concerns.

Funeral director plan rejected for ‘idle and vacant’ high street unit

They said hot food takeaways require on-street parking for customers and delivery vehicles, but it was “not considered that the on-street parking close to the application site can adequately provide this”.

The officers also said a flue on the front or rear of the proposed takeaway could be “visually intrusive” for nearby residents.

“On this basis, it is not considered that the applicant has provided sufficient information to demonstrate that an extraction system and flue could be installed on site without detriment to the visual amenities of the area,” they concluded.

The takeaway application drew three objections from neighbours, including concerns around parking and the odours generated by the business, which critics said “will adversely affect local residential amenity”.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.