Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Welsh minister ‘concerned’ by proposed jury trial restrictions

News | Chris Haines - ICNN Senedd Reporter | Published: 17:01, Tuesday December 9th, 2025.
Last updated: 17:01, Tuesday December 9th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Julie James MS, counsel general and minister for delivery
Julie James MS, counsel general and minister for delivery

Wales’ top lawyer has vowed to challenge Ministry of Justice proposals to limit appeal rights and scrap jury trials for crimes with a likely sentence of three years or less.

Julie James, who is counsel general, the Welsh Government’s chief legal adviser, committed to raising concerns with UK counterparts because justice is largely non-devolved.

Last week, the Ministry of Justice unveiled plans for judge-only “swift courts” in Wales and England to fast track cases to cut delays due to a backlog in the justice system.

Answering questions in the Senedd today (December 9), Ms James agreed with her Labour colleague Mick Antoniw who described the plans as the “wrong way to go”.

The former solicitor said she would raise the issue during a meeting of the inter-ministerial group (IMG) on justice, a UK-wide forum which she was due to chair later in the week.

‘At our peril’

Labour MS Mick Antoniw
Labour MS Mick Antoniw

Mr Antoniw told the Senedd: “I think this is the wrong way to go and will not solve the growing backlog problem. Jury trials have been a cornerstone of our justice system.

“Juries are a check and balance on judges, as well as a protection for the independence of the judiciary, and they give ownership to part of the judicial system into the hands of the people, so we restrict them at our peril.”

Mr Antoniw, a former trade union lawyer and counsel general, urged his successor to press for access to justice, investment in court infrastructure and the devolution of justice powers.

Full justice devolution ‘not on the agenda’

Ms James responded: “I personally am particularly concerned about the proposals to limit the rights of appeal from magistrates’ courts to points of law only at the same time as increasing magistrates’ sentencing powers.

“So, there are a number of things in the system that we will be raising at the IMG and more generally. Because although it is a reserved matter, of course it directly impacts on a number of things that are devolved.”

‘Outrage’

Independent MS Rhys ab Owen
Independent MS Rhys ab Owen

Rhys ab Owen, a former criminal barrister who sits as an independent, pointed to previous comments from David Lammy, the Deputy Prime Minister and UK justice secretary.

He said: “’Jury trials are a fundamental part of the democratic settlement, criminal trials without juries are a bad idea… those aren’t my words – that’s a tweet written by David Lammy back in 2020.”

He argued the figures are skewed due to “huge” backlogs in big English cities.

Mr ab Owen was similarly concerned by proposals to limit rights of appeal as he recalled some “baffling” decisions made by magistrates.

He told Senedd Members: “The truth is if this was a proposal by a Conservative government, there would be outrage in this place.”

Mr ab Owen also raised comments from Karl Turner, a Labour MP, who described the proposals as the “daftest idea” that any justice secretary could have come up with.

Labour and Plaid Cymru strike £300m budget deal

‘Hugely important’

Pressed on whether she agreed, Ms James said: “I agree that there are serious questions to be asked about the UK Government’s proposals… I also agree the right to trial by jury is a hugely important protection for defendants, I absolutely do.

“Victims need to be assured that justice is delivered effectively but in an unbiased way, and that the punishment fits the crime.”

She stressed that trial delays also impact victims, defendants and witnesses, so “it’s absolutely right to look at ways of speeding up that process”.

Ms James told Senedd Members there are no significant delays in magistrates’ courts and crown court performance in Wales has consistently been considered among the best.

She explained trials in Wales are currently being listed into 2026 and 2027, compared with London where listings are currently well into 2030.

Criticising a “disappointing” lack of consultation before the announcement, the counsel general said: “These are proposals at the moment, there’s a long way until they become law [but] we will be making our feelings known on it.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Senedd
Senedd
Senedd

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.