Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Second police probe into Caerphilly council finances continues

News | | Published: 09:35, Thursday May 15th, 2014.

A second police investigation into the finances of Caerphilly County Borough Council is still ongoing.

In December last year a special public interest report from the Wales Audit Office concluded that payments totalling almost £220,000 to ‘buy out’ car and annual leave allowances were unlawful.

The payments, made early in 2012, were part of an agreement to compensate senior bosses who were giving up car and annual leave allowances to bring them in line with other workers.

The report said the decision to make the one-off payments was done without proper authority or clear recording of how the decision was made.

Gwent Police, after reviewing the report, referred the matter to Avon and Somerset Police.

It was the second time the force had made such a move.

In March last year a separate WAO report into unlawful pay rises for council bosses was referred to Avon and Somerset Police.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said the second investigation was still ongoing.

3 thoughts on “Second police probe into Caerphilly council finances continues”

  1. ARTHUR THE GREAT says:
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 12:56

    This is the second financial scandal to hit the headlines in Caerphilly Council in recent months.

    Will there be third? some say so.

    Log in to Reply
  2. Cllr Richard Williams says:
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 22:13

    It appears that financial irregularities have been the norm in Caerffili council for much longer than the Labour administration has been in charge. I predicted more than a year ago that this story would run and run. There are more revelations on the way, I have no doubt.

    Log in to Reply
  3. Realist UK says:
    Friday, May 16, 2014 at 16:11

    Of course, the Labour Group consider saying sorry (only when caught) is sufficient. Lets hope there’s no plea bargaining involved and the whole lot exposed for misconduct in public office.

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • polling station sign
    Polls close in Van ward council by-electionThursday, February 19, 2026
  • UK Government backs council’s solar farm projectThursday, February 19, 2026
  • 98 Queen's Road (left), Elliot's Town, pictured in July 2025
    HMO conversion gets thumbs up despite parking concernsThursday, February 19, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development sites in Oakdale. The supported living site is marked in red
    Green light for ‘much needed’ supported living apartmentsThursday, February 19, 2026
  • Newport Magistrates' Court
    Two deny historic child abuse charges in courtThursday, February 19, 2026
  • Get active with Nordic walking
    Nordic walking classes getting residents activeThursday, February 19, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.