Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Parties clash over demolition plans for ex-council buildings

News | | Published: 13:22, Friday October 20th, 2017.

The former council offices at Pontllanfraith
The former council offices at Pontllanfraith

Labour and Plaid Cymru politicians have clashed over proposals to demolish council-owned buildings in Pontllanfraith.

Last month, Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet agreed to spend a collective £3.1 million to knock down its former offices in Pontllanfraith, as well as Pontllanfraith and Oakdale comprehensive schools – which have been replaced by the recently-opened Islwyn High School.

A public consultation has also begun into plans to close and demolish Pontllanfraith leisure centre, on the same site.

If the demolitions go ahead, it is likely the council will sell the land for a housing development.

However, Plaid Cymru politicians have questioned whether the land will be used for affordable housing.

South Wales East AM, Steffan Lewis, Penyrheol councillor, Lindsay Whittle, say the decision to demolish Pontllanfraith House and sell the land to developers is shortsighted when thousands of people are waiting for a council home.

Mr Lewis said: “The local authority has decided to allow the building of primarily executive housing and this is in an area where 5,000 people are waiting on social housing lists. What we need in this area is council housing, affordable housing for local people.

“The council has got its priorities wrong in the absence of a real plan for our communities. Instead, executive homes are being built. The shambles of the housing crisis in Caerphilly has got to stop.”

Cllr Whittle said: “I support the view of Steffan Lewis and question why Labour is spending around £600,000 to demolish its own building and carry out site investigation costs, before selling the land to developers.

“This is a total waste of council tax-payers’ money. We could get much more benefit out of this site. It should be used for the benefit of local people, not for developers to make a quick buck.”

The claims were stoutly refuted by council leader, Cllr Dave Poole, who referred to the fact that the land had not even been sold yet.

Cllr Poole said: “It is extremely disappointing that Stefan Lewis did not have the courtesy to check the facts before rushing to issue such an inaccurate statement.

“It is even more disappointing and surprising that Cllr Whittle actually endorsed Mr Lewis’ comments, even after he had been informed by the Interim Director of Corporate Affairs in a recent Policy and Recourses Scrutiny Committee that these proposals were the cheapest option.

“The site has not yet been sold and therefore no planning permission has been sought for the site layout, the number of houses, or house styles, executive or otherwise.

“Whatever the number of houses the developer eventually plans to build on the site, they must comply with the council’s policy, of ensuring that a quarter of houses to be build, must be affordable homes.

• Pontllanfraith councillors, Mike Adams and Gez Kirby have voiced concerns over the proposed closure of the area’s leisure centre.

The council is carrying out a six-week public consultation until Saturday, November 10. Facilities could be transferred to Islwyn High School if the centre is demolished.

Cllr Adams said: “While we appreciate Caerphilly Council’s increasing need to make savings, we Pontllanfraith councillors believe that local access to resources promoting health and wellbeing is vital.”

Cllr Kirby added: “We have called for an urgent meeting with Caerphilly Council’s leadership to see what can be done to secure leisure services for Pontllanfraith residents.

“We’re asking local residents to make sure they have their say in response to our Council’s consultation on the issue.”

3 thoughts on “Parties clash over demolition plans for ex-council buildings”

  1. Ian Gorman says:
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 12:52

    Why o why are we talking of building more houses again? We need more enterprise and jobs for the people we already have.

    Log in to Reply
    1. John Coffi says:
      Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 18:26

      Probably because Caerphilly Council has no clear sense of direction

      Log in to Reply
    2. Richard Williams says:
      Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 01:48

      It’s because the council (and the Welsh Assembly) has not yet realised that we are leaving the EU. Immigration will then reduce to normal levels for a sovereign country. Given that the birthrate in Britain is low we will not require so many houses but we will require workplaces for our young people who come out of university or sixth form.

      Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Staff from Tesco and Risca Food Bank, alongside Newport West and Islwyn MS Ruth Jones
    Supermarket collecting donations for Risca Food BankFriday, November 28, 2025
  • Trethomas Bluebirds manager Paul Evans, left, and ex-Bluebirds boss Mark Dunford
    Football preview: Familiar faces await Trethomas as Caerphilly Athletic keep pace on leadersFriday, November 28, 2025
  • Blackwood Police Station
    Thirty knives surrendered as part of police knife crime campaignFriday, November 28, 2025
  • Baby Neil the emu
    Gavin and Stacey star Neil the Baby to meet feathered namesakeFriday, November 28, 2025
  • Rhydri Primary School, pictured in May 2021
    Borough’s school budget problems linked to drop in birth ratesFriday, November 28, 2025
  • The damaged police car
    Appeal after van ‘deliberately’ reverses into police carFriday, November 28, 2025

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, November 27, 2025
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Darts Dungeon, BargoedThursday, November 27, 2025
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Ffos CaerffiliThursday, November 27, 2025
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, November 13, 2025
© 2009-2024 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.