A dog has died and another is recovering after a suspected poisoning near the Rhymney River in Llanbradach.
Five-year-old springer spaniel Toby died in his owners’ arms after suffering a seizure while on a walk near the river.
Soon after, six-month old puppy Bear, who is also a springer spaniel, began having a seizure.
Owner Michelle Burrow was with the dogs when the incident happened on New Years Day.
Ms Burrow, from Llanbradach, said: “I was taking the dogs on a walk at our usual walking spot when I noticed Toby rolling around.
“I went to see what he was doing and I saw he was having a really severe seizure. I used to have a dog with epilepsy, so I know what it’s like.”
She added: “I tried to calm him and rung the vets, but they didn’t have an ambulance that could come quickly enough, so they talked me through what to do.
“A few minutes later he stopped breathing and died as I was holding him in my arms.”
Roughly thirty seconds later, Ms Burrow said she “heard screaming” and noticed Bear also having a seizure.
Friends of Ms Burrow helped her get Bear to the vets, who suspected he had been poisoned.
Thankfully, Bear is currently recovering at home and is due to have further tests.
Ms Burrow told Caerphilly Observer: “You don’t have two dogs having a seizure at the same time.
“I don’t want to think it was a deliberate act of poisoning.
“People need to be aware of this so they can keep their dogs safe.”
An RSPCA Cymru spokesperson said: “These reports sound deeply distressing and our thoughts are with the owner at this difficult time.
“As ever, we urge anyone looking to report animal welfare concerns to contact our 24-hour advice and cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.
“If an individual fears their pet has been poisoned, it is vital they stay calm, remove the animal from the source of poison, contact their vet immediately, and follow their advice.
“A pet vomiting, expressing a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, having seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be signs of a potential poisoning incident.”