Seven-year-old girl saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning
News | Rhys Williams | Published: 19:45, Monday June 3rd, 2019.
Last updated: 22:49, Monday June 3rd, 2019
A seven-year-old girl from Fochriw has saved the lives of her family after being taught about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning at school.
Jaydee-Lee Dummett had been taught about gas safety at school and was able to notice a carbon monoxide leak in her house in April.
After her four-year-old brother, Leylan, woke up in the middle of the night disoriented and “seeing things”, Jaydee-Lee noticed the light on the carbon monoxide detector had changed from green to red and told her mother to call for help immediately.
Jaydee-Lee’s mum, Lindy Burke, said: “A few weeks previous Jaydee-Lee had come home from school full of beans after being visited by the team from Wales and West Utilities who delivered a gas safety session. Looking back, without this lesson I genuinely don’t think we’d still be alive.
“After seeing her brother so confused, Jaydee-Lee quickly looked for other tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and then, like it was second nature, she reeled off the gas emergency number – 0800 111 999 – I couldn’t believe it.”
Ms Burke added: “I couldn’t be prouder of Jaydee-Lee – she literally has saved our lives. From being involved in a simple lesson on gas safety, she knew exactly what to look for.
“The gas safety session was obviously pitched in a fun and interactive way, as she took in so much information and I would urge everyone to brush up on their gas safety knowledge as you never know when you might need it. I didn’t have the necessary information, but I thank the lucky stars that my daughter did. It’s certainly not a number that I am ever likely to forget.”
After receiving a call, engineers arrived at the home and turned off the gas.
Wales and West Utilities emergency engineer, Sean Ward, was at the house and said: “The quick-thinking actions of Jaydee-Lee have saved her family’s lives and she should be commended.
“From speaking to her that night it was clear that she took in such a lot of vital information from the gas safety session, which is fantastic.
“Every year we make approximately 4,000 visits to properties where we find evidence of carbon monoxide. It’s important for people to realise that this is a poisonous gas that doesn’t smell, has no taste and can’t be seen – but it kills 50 people in the UK every year and leaves a further 200 seriously ill.
“Jaydee-Lee should feel incredibly proud of herself – her quick-thinking is to be admired.”
Sharon Pascoe, Jaydee-Lee’s headteacher at Fochriw Primary School added: “We are very proud of Jaydee-Lee’s actions regarding this important issue. She clearly knows our three school rules beyond the school gates of ‘respectful, responsible and safe’.
“Jaydee-Lee is a role model to others.”
Anyone who suspects they have a carbon monoxide leak should call 0800 111 999.