Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Council approves plans to demolish polluted street

News | Niall Griffiths - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 15:39, Thursday August 1st, 2019.
Last updated: 15:44, Thursday August 1st, 2019

POLLUTED: Hafodyrynys Road in Crumlin is the most polluted street in the UK outside of London

Houses on one of Wales’ most polluted streets will be demolished to meet air quality targets following approval from Caerphilly County Borough Council.

Nitrous dioxide levels on the A472 in Hafodyrynys were higher than anywhere except central London in 2015 and 2016, prompting calls for action on a local and national level.

Twenty-three homes in Woodside Terrace, Yr Adfa and Woodside shops will be knocked down to allow for a realignment of Hafodyrynys Road and comply with requirements by 2022.

The council will buy the properties for 50% above the market rate, with the Welsh Government agreeing to fund the estimated £5 million demolition costs.

Council leader Dave Poole said on Thursday: “The residents will leave with enough money to buy compatible properties and will be able start a new life.

“I think we’ve arrived at the right decision, and I’m sure the people of Hafodyrynys will thank us for it.”

Cabinet members were initially opposed having raised concerns that residents could be left in financial hardship if the council could not offer market value for their properties.

In March, they favoured a ‘do minimum’ approach which relied on vehicle emissions improving without the need for local intervention, bringing compliance by 2025.

But with most residents supportive of the proposals, and Welsh Government support guaranteed, the council’s cabinet backed the proposals on Thursday.

The meeting heard that 18 of the 23 affected residents were notified of the plans to proceed on Wednesday evening.

Some residents, along with opposition councillors and the wider public, had been heavily critical of the council’s initial ‘do minimum’ approach, which the Welsh Government described as “unviable”.

Cllr Poole said: “We have been criticised but we did not want to push some young families with children into negative equity.

“We didn’t want to push some older residents who are mortgage-free into rented properties or taking out a new mortgage.

“Some of the comments have not been very nice on social media but I suppose it’s the sign of the times – these keyboard warriors think they can do what they like.”

Cllr Eluned Stenner, cabinet Member for the environment and public protection, said: “We thank Welsh Government for their support on what has been a very complex and emotive issue, not least for those residents directly affected by the air quality issues in Hafodyrynys.

“There is more work to do in terms of further modelling in accordance with the air quality direction, but I’m sure the news that this long-standing issue is reaching a conclusion for the affected residents will be warmly welcomed.”

Cllr Colin Mann, leader of the council’s Plaid Cymru group, had previously said the Labour administration’s message to residents was to “carry on breathing in poisonous air as it may get better in a few years’ time”.

Speaking after the meeting, Cllr Mann welcomed the cabinet’s decision, saying: “The majority of residents don’t want to live in those awful conditions, and I don’t think we should expect them to.

“Where the cabinet went wrong is not making this decision in the first place instead of hoping that another solution was going to come along instead of attacking the issue.”

The Welsh Government has been contacted for comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.