Young gymnasts from Cwmfelinfach-based Islwyn Gymnastics Club (IGC) have impressed the judges by winning a combined 24 medals at the Gym Central Classic Grades competition in Newport.
More than 100 gymnasts, aged eight to 16, from seven different clubs in Wales took part in the competition, which was held at the City of Newport Gymnastics Academy on Saturday, February 1.
For some gymnasts, this event was their first taste of competition outside of their own club.
IGC’S Emme-Lou Richards finished as the overall champion at the competition, finishing first place on bars and beam, and second place on floor and vault.
IGC, which opened in 2018, has professional British Gymnastics coaches and has grown to more than 300 members.
- Police and charities urge domestic abuse victims not to suffer in silence
- “Support us or the NHS may fail” – carers call for greater financial security
- No changes to childcare and free school meals over Easter holiday
- Council boss hits back over grant payment criticism
- “Stop putting lives at risk” say firecrews after weekend of wildfires
- Childcare support announced for critical workers
Owner and coach Karl Ward, who runs the club alongside his wife, Marie, said: “The competition went fantastically well for us. It showed massive progression in our gymnasts performance over the last 12 months.
“We hope our success over the weekend will inspire the next generation of Islywn Gymnastics Club squad gymnasts to work hard, have fun and achieve their goals.”