Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Which councillor dropped the f-word at a recent planning meeting?

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 10:46, Tuesday June 23rd, 2020.
Last updated: 10:50, Tuesday June 23rd, 2020
The planning meeting held on June 17 was the first to be done via online video conferencing

A councillor dropped the f-word during the first planning committee meeting held via video conferencing – showing his frustration at the technology’s limitations.

Caerphilly County Borough Council has been unable to hold physical meetings during the pandemic and last week’s planning meeting was the first to be held using the Microsoft Teams software.

However, the two-and-a-half hour meeting was plagued by muted microphones and dropped connections as councillors struggled to get to grips with the tech.

Members were seen making faces, sighing, and laughing out of frustration as colleagues tried their best to work through the meeting’s business – which included the rejection of a 125-home scheme in Pontllanfraith.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


It has led to calls for the council to start holding physical meetings.

Plaid Cymru councillor and planning committee member James Fussell acknowledged the limitations Microsoft Teams had, but also said councillors had a role to play in making the tech work.

He said: “[The council] are trying to do their best and have been thrust into new ways of working – as have other organisations.

“This isn’t new technology and members have to take a role of responsibility in terms of their competence in using Microsoft Teams.

“There is not a lot to go wrong, but it needs people to understand that this is a ‘public gallery’.”

Cllr Adrian Hussey, the Labour member for Newbridge
Newbridge councillor Adrian Hussey

Cllr Adrian Hussey, the Labour member for Newbridge, can be heard saying the F-word during the meeting as Plaid Cymru councillor Mike Davies struggled with his microphone.

He was also seen finishing his breakfast by drinking milk from his cereal bowl.

When contacted by Caerphilly Observer, Cllr Hussey said: “Firstly I would like to say I’m deeply ashamed of the way I acted at the planning meeting – frustration got the better of me.

“I have apologised to the monitoring officer and Cllr Davies and fully intend to apologise to the members at the next planning meeting.

“This is a new way of holding meetings and we are all on a learning curve and it can be frustrating.”

On the issue of eating breakfast, Cllr Hussey said he was running late for the meeting after having connection issues and added: “This is not the way I normally conduct myself at this or any other meeting.”

Cllr Hussey can be seen finishing his breakfast

Independent councillor Nigel Dix, who does not sit on the planning committee, said the system of remote meetings was “not fit for purpose” and urged council bosses to bring back physical meetings – albeit socially distanced.

He said: “The council have tried their best to get it up and running but it has proved diffcult and clunky and it is not a great way to make democratic decisions.

“There are 20 members on the planning committee and we have got a chamber that can sit 72 councillors. You can hold these meetings and protect everybody with social distancing.”

Cllr Fussell said holding physical meetings in the chamber at Ty Penallta could be a solution, but that some councillors would not be able to attend as some would be shielding.

Labour’s chair of the planning committee, Mike Adams, said there were lessons to be learned and admitted there had been issues with councillors’ “etiquette”, but the meeting overall was a success.

The meeting did end in some confusion however. Cllr Adams declared an interest ahead of a discussion over the 125 homes in Pontllanfraith – as he lives nearby.

He was not in attendance during the decision, but when he returned he asked what the outcome was.

Fellow Labour councillor John Bevan objected and Robert Tranter, the council’s head of legal services, advised Cllr Adams to end the meeting.

Cllr Adams told Caerphilly Observer that he was waiting for an answer as to why he was not allowed to ask the question given the decision had already been made.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Boy, 10, recovering in hospital after zip wire fall during school tripTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Nature fair brings community together at Morgan Jones ParkTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Senedd stock image
    Members appointed to the first Senedd committeeTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • CAERPHILLY: New ‘high-quality’ flats proposed above village shop
    New ‘high-quality’ flats proposed above village shopTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Author Claire Barley, centre, with children Georgia and William
    From bedtime stories to bookshelves: Childhood memories inspire first published bookTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    No serious injuries after three-car crashTuesday, May 19, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.