The annual Big Cheese festival is going ahead this weekend – albeit in virtual form.
The event, which is normally held in Caerphilly town centre, was scheduled to begin today (July 24) but was cancelled in March due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Instead, activities such as cooking demonstrations, music performances and the cheese race will all move online this weekend.
Traders, who would normally set up stalls at the festival, will showcase their produce virutally, with animal displays, children’s activities, fireworks and re-enactments also taking place online.
Prizes can also be won at the virtual Big Cheese, which will draw to a close on Sunday (July 26). An overnight stay at Bryn Meadows, escape room tickets and afternoon tea vouchers are all up for grabs.
Councillor Lisa Phipps, Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet member for tourism, said: “This is an innovative way to continue the great atmosphere that The Big Cheese festival brings to the whole area.
“Those who take part year after year will be delighted to know they can still be a part of the 2020 celebrations.”
Events can be viewed on the official Big Cheese Facebook page
- Support announced for businesses still affected by ongoing restrictions
- Historic rule changes make it easier for LGBT community to give blood
- Man released on bail after armed police incident
- Drug dealers jailed for combined nine years and four months
- Caerphilly teenager one of five charged with murder of Ryan O’Connor
Virtual Big Cheese schedule
Friday 24th July
- 10am – Big Cheese Set Up
- 11am – Meet the Traders
- 12pm – Meet the Team
- 12.30pm – Children’s Activities
- 3pm – Funfair
- 4pm – Bar
- 5pm – Music Stage
- 6.30pm – Great Cheese Race
- 10pm – Fireworks
Saturday 25th July
- 9am – Meet the Stewards
- 10am – Cheese Making
- 12pm – Animal Display
- 1pm – Meet the Traders
- 2.30pm – Great Hall Performances
- 3pm – Mike’s Donkeys
- 4pm – Sponsor Update
Sunday 26th July
- 9am – Meet the Partners
- 10am – Caerphilly Tourism Association
- 11am – Re-enactment Displays
- 12pm – Animal Zone
- 1pm – Wigmore’s Bakery
- 3pm – Great Hall Performances
- 4pm – Food Demonstration with Katie Davies
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member – cancel anytime