Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Eviction ban for businesses struggling to pay rent extended

Business, News | Rhys Williams | Published: 11:28, Tuesday September 22nd, 2020.
Last updated: 11:29, Tuesday September 22nd, 2020
Social distancing markers at Castle Court Shopping Centre in Caerphilly town
Social distancing markers at Castle Court Shopping Centre in Caerphilly town

Businesses struggling to pay their rent will be protected from eviction until the end of the year.

It comes after Welsh Government announced plans to extend current protections, which were set to come to an end on September 30.

Economy minister Ken Skates made the announcement on Tuesday (September 22), with Caerphilly and Rhondda Cynon Taf under local lockdowns and four more set to follow due to a rise in new coronavirus cases in recent weeks.

Welsh Government says grant scheme has protected 100,000 jobs

Mr Skates said: “This will prevent unreasonable evictions in the run up to the crucial Christmas period, protecting jobs and safeguarding businesses.

“However we also recognise the need to develop sustainable ways to provide stability and certainty to businesses and workers long-term in order to drive economic recovery.

“As part of this we will continue to make the case to the UK Government to provide the further necessary support as we plan for a prosperous post-pandemic Wales.”

Deputy minister for housing and local government, Hannah Blythyn, said: “Ensuring Welsh businesses can remain open, without fear from eviction, is vital to ensuring our town centres can continue to thrive in a post-pandemic Wales.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


“The extension of measures to protect business from eviction until the end of the year will not only support but provide certainty for businesses in the run up to and throughout the busy festive period.

“Businesses have overcome new challenges since the start of the pandemic.

“The repurposed £9m of funding I recently announced earlier this year was to support the safe reopening of town centres and to allow businesses to continue to trade in a safe environment despite these challenges.

“Giving our towns a sense of place is more important than ever.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Caerphilly Media

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.