Gerwyn Price has reached the second round of the Grand Slam of Darts following a Group G win over Ryan Joyce on Thursday night (November 19).
Price came from 4-2 down to win 5-4 as he avoided an upset against his Geordie opponent in Coventry, keeping alive his bid for a third successive Grand Slam title.
Price, from Markham, said: “I was up against it but I never gave up – I dug in deep and I thought I played well today.
“I bombed a few chances but I knew I had enough in the tank and I think I deserved to win.
“I knew Ryan was going to come and play well and he punished me when I missed a few doubles but I stuck in there until the end. In the last three legs I played well to come back.”
- Gwent Police issue more than 100 fines for Covid-19 breaches – including 15 at a house party
- Caerphilly covered in blanket of snow
- Police still looking into cannabis factory discovery
- Regional Senedd Member given new shadow cabinet role
- Police to take action against people who “blatantly” flout lockdown rules
- Number of new coronavirus cases continuing to decrease across Wales
He added: “I could have lost all three games but I’m a little bit more experienced now and maybe that showed.”
Price will be joined in the second round by Clayton, who he teamed up with to win the World Cup of Darts for Wales earlier this month.
Price will take on England’s Nathan Aspinall in the second round on Saturday, November 21.
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member – cancel anytime