Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

82-home development on former comprehensive school site backed

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 16:40, Friday October 13th, 2023.
Last updated: 16:40, Friday October 13th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

An artist's impression of how the new homes could look on the site of the former Oakdale Comprehensive.
An artist’s impression of how the new homes could look on the site of the former Oakdale Comprehensive.

A major development on the site of a former comprehensive school will go ahead despite some local opposition.

Councillors on Caerphilly Council’s planning committee this week gave their unanimous approval to the redevelopment of the former Oakdale Comprehensive School site.

Classrooms were demolished there after the school closed in 2017 and pupils moved to the new Islwyn High School, around a mile to the north.

The land has stood mostly empty since then, and will now become the site of 82 new homes, the majority of which (44 properties) will be classed as affordable housing.

Outline planning permission was secured in March 2022, approving the disused school site for residential redevelopment.

Caerphilly County Borough Council’s planning committee this week approved a reserved matters application, covering details such as the homes’ design and layout, as well as the landscaping of the proposed development.

Oakdale Comprehensive School
Oakdale Comprehensive School before its demolition

The committee’s backing of the plans is essentially the final approval, but the council’s cabinet will also be asked to endorse the local authority-led scheme later in October.

Cllr Shayne Cook, the cabinet member for housing, has backed the council’s “flagship” project as a forward-thinking homes scheme that prioritises energy efficiency.

The homes will include “innovative design features to ensure energy costs are kept to a minimum for residents, while also reducing carbon emissions”, he said following the committee’s decision.

But the plans have also met a degree of opposition within the local community, and 13 people responded to neighbour letters, outlining their objections.

Criticisms ranged from the size of the development to road safety, and from antisocial behaviour to pressure on local schools. There were also concerns the proposed homes could overlook existing properties in neighbouring streets.

Objectors also claimed building work would lead to the loss of trees, as well as increased noise and disruption, and an impact on local wildlife – the site should be “green space for the use of residents”, they said.

Council documents show the new development will include two green areas, and a “significant number of trees” will be planted as part of the project.

Officers also judged the new homes were “considered to be far enough away from the existing dwellings in the vicinity of the site not to be overbearing nor to have an unacceptable impact in terms of privacy”.

The layout of the new homes is “considered acceptable in respect of highway safety”, the council said, adding there was “no particular reason the development would create additional levels of antisocial behaviour”.

And education officers in the council have also confirmed “sufficient places exist at local schools for pupils in the catchment area”.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

CCBC
Jaggery

Latest News

  • Caerphilly Runners invites beginners to join free Sofa to 5k sessionsThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Conor Webley has been recalled to prison
    Criminal wanted back behind bars as police launch appealThursday, May 21, 2026
  • A new MUGA and pupil support centre have opened at Islwyn High School
    New all-weather sports pitch and pupil support centre officially opened at schoolThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Cllr Sean Morgan, leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council
    No backing for call to consider WW2-style rationing over Middle East fearsWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Cllr Charlotte Bishop is the new leader of Caerphilly Council's Plaid Cymru group
    Council backs knife crime awareness pledge and mental health supportWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Voluntary sector committee axed under changes to council meetingsWednesday, May 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.