Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Workers at Caerphilly packaging firm could face redundancy

News | | Published: 17:40, Friday July 25th, 2014.
Last updated: 17:40, Friday July 25th, 2014

Around 31 jobs could be lost at a Caerphilly packaging firm, it has been announced.

Coveris Rigid Ltd, based on the town’s Pontygwindy Industrial Estate, has said it had entered a 45 day consultation period with staff over possible redundancies.

The company, which was previously known as Kobusch before it was bought out earlier this year, said the plan to close the factory was a result of a decision to concentrate on other markets.

Jo Robson, HR Manager, said: “Strategically for the business, we are focusing on high value-added service and technology within growth markets.”

She added that PVC-based packaging was in steady decline and that the company was withdrawing from the market. As a result, the Caerphilly site could close.

The consultation period started on July 7 and the company is now in discussions with union Unite.

Caerphilly AM Jeff Cuthbert has asked for a meeting with company bosses.

He said: “I’ve contacted the company to request a meeting with management to discuss the situation and naturally I hope alternatives, other than job losses, can be found”.

Kobusch was bought earlier this year by Coveris Rigid earlier this year which saw the company’s three sites in England, Scotland and Wales rebranded under the new name.

According to the company website, Kobusch had a UK annual turnover of approximately £60m.

At the time of acquiring the company, Coveris Rigid’s global CEO Dieter Bergner said the firm was “a great addition”.

2 thoughts on “Workers at Caerphilly packaging firm could face redundancy”

  1. Jan7 says:
    Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 00:24

    I hope local people are not being laid off in favour of polish people. This has happened in the past.

    Log in to Reply
    1. Cllr Richard Williams says:
      Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 04:03

      All part of being in the EU Jan, the sooner we are out of it the better.

      Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026
  • UK Government backs council’s solar farm projectThursday, February 19, 2026
  • 98 Queen's Road (left), Elliot's Town, pictured in July 2025
    HMO conversion gets thumbs up despite parking concernsThursday, February 19, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.