Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Work to build new council flats underway

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 15:34, Friday July 23rd, 2021.
Last updated: 15:34, Friday July 23rd, 2021

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

From left: Martin Bennett, Mal Richards and Andrew Dobbs of Willmott Dixon; Cllr Philippa Marsden; Cllr Lisa Phipps; William Jones of Willmott Dixon; Chris Boardman of Caerphilly County Borough Council outside the new development in Trecenydd
From left: Martin Bennett, Mal Richards and Andrew Dobbs of Willmott Dixon; Cllr Philippa Marsden; Cllr Lisa Phipps; William Jones of Willmott Dixon; Chris Boardman of Caerphilly County Borough Council outside the new development in Trecenydd

Work to build new council-owned flats is now underway in Trecenydd.

Six new one-bedroom flats are being built at the Crescent on the site of the former 49 Club, which closed in 2009 and caught fire the same year.

The council has said the apartments will be built to Passivhaus standard – meaning it will have ‘very high’ levels of insulation, ‘airtight’ building fabric and and a mechanical heat ventilation system, as well as lower carbon emissions.

The flats are expected to be completed in the Spring.

The council has appointed contractors Willmott Dixon as its delivery partner, while Penallta-based Caledan Ltd will supply the steel frames used in the construction.

The project is being funded through the Welsh Government’s Innovative Housing Programme.

The £3.1m funds will go towards the project, as well as towards the construction of new council-owned flats in Trethomas.

An artist's impression of the approved council-owned apartments to be built in Trecenydd and Trethomas
An artist’s impression of the approved council-owned apartments to be built in Trecenydd and Trethomas

Before this year, no council housing had been built in the borough for nearly 20 years.

However, alongside the developments in Trecenydd and Trethomas, council housing is being built near Aberbargoed.

Six of the 55 homes being built on the site of the former Bedwellty Comprehensive School site will become part of the council’s stock.

Plans for a further 46 homes on the playing fields next to the school site were green-lit by the council in September 2020. These are expected to include seven council-owned homes.

Council leader Philippa Marsden described the new council housing as a “significant milestone for us”.

She said: “We are incredibly excited to embark on this journey, with the pilot schemes at Trecenydd and Trethomas being the first steps in a large-scale programme of development over the coming years.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


The council’s Cabinet Member for Housing, Cllr Lisa Phipps, said: “There are currently over 4,500 people registered for social housing in the county borough, so developing high quality homes to help meet that demand is a key priority for us.”

She added: “We’re also committed to exploring innovative ways to reduce tenants’ energy bills and tackle climate change, whilst also maximising the investment being made through our house building programme, by using local supply chains and delivering wider benefits for our communities.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

CCBC
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.