Firefighters are still battling a blaze on Penallta Industrial Estate, which broke out on Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was first reported to South Wales Fire and Rescue Service at around 3.13pm on September 1. Multiple fire crews from across south Wales have been in attendance.
The fire service said 50 fire service personnel have so far attended the fire on North Road.
In a statement, the fire service described it as a “large well-developed fire” and said it involved around 200 tonnes of metal.
The statement continued: “Firefighters, alongside partner agencies, worked together using a range of specialist equipment and techniques to extinguish the fire, including water jets and bowsers, aerial ladder platforms and breathing apparatus.
“The incident is currently ongoing and crews remain at the scene to ensure the premises and the surrounding areas are made safe.
Residents living nearby have been asked to keep windows and doors closed due to the amount of smoke in the area.
- Council continues to face calls for day care centres to return to pre-pandemic hours
- Father-of-two to run London Marathon to support liver disease charity
- Chief Medical Officer urges pregnant women to take up vaccine offer
- Three-time Super League winner Flower announces rugby league retirement
- Teen braves 700m zipwire challenge in memory of late best friend
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member – cancel anytime