Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
From just £3 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today
A stretch of road between Deri and Bargoed could be closed until the New Year while drainage works are carried out, the council has warned.
Groes-Faen Terrace Road, up to the junction with Factory Road, closed on Monday, October 18.
It was expected to be closed for five weeks, with an additional weekend closure, before one week with a single lane closure.
However, work has been delayed because work was needed to repair ducts carrying fibre optic cable.
In a statement, Caerphilly County Borough Council said: “It is possible that this unforeseen BT works could delay completion of the scheme into January which is the last thing we wanted.
“To mitigate this our officers are currently liaising with all parties to minimise any delays by exploring possibilities of accelerating the programme and / or bringing in additional contractor resources.
“Our primary aim is now to complete the works by December 23, 2021. Should further unforeseen issues delay the works further we have plans in place to open the road under single lane traffic control from December 23 until January 4, 2022, to minimise disruption during the Christmas period.
“The full road closures and diversions will then be reinstalled from January 4, 2022, to complete any outstanding works.”
The council apologised for the delay.
- Small business owners call for long-term plan as Covid restrictions ease
- Mother-of-two wins legal battle to access funding for cancer treatment
- Bedwas survive late surge to hold on for victory over Ystalyfera
- Gwent Police precept could rise by 5% to pay for new officers
- “We’re so fed up with this now” – Church fundraising for CCTV after wall repeatedly hit by lorries