Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

“We want to know why” – Football club demands answers after 30-point deduction and demotion

News, Sport | Tom Hicks | Published: 14:23, Wednesday June 15th, 2022.
Last updated: 14:24, Wednesday June 15th, 2022

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

The Buds and the Town play near the Hangar in Aberbargoed
Aberbargoed Buds play near the Hangar in Aberbargoed

Aberbargoed Buds football club have been dealt a 30-point deduction and removed from the Ardal South East League – the third tier of Welsh football – after fielding two ineligible players.

In August last year, Aberbargoed Buds fielded two players who were on temporary eligibility contracts, meaning they could play for the youth side of one club when signed for the senior side of another.

However, according to the Football Association of Wales, Rule 62 prevents a player from playing for the senior side of another club when temporary eligibility is in effect.

However, Buds manager John Lewis said that not only were the club unaware of the rule, but the players in question were approved to play for the Buds by the FAW.

A statement from The Buds. #upthebuds #yourteamyourtown ? ?? pic.twitter.com/950Tnt3Fyc

— Aberbargoed Buds FC (@officialbuds) June 9, 2022

He said: “The players were registered onto the FAW’s COMET system and no notification was received by Aberbargoed about their ineligibility.

“This is only because the players were on a temporary eligibility contract. There isn’t currently a system in place to notify the club.

“We want to know why this is, and why it took the FAW so long to tell us.”

Caerphilly Observer posed this question to the governing body. In response, a spokesperson from the FAW summarised by saying: “Aberbargoed allowed player(s) to participate in matches after signing for youth team(s), which is not permitted for a club playing at National League level.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


A disciplinary panel made their decision on June 6, with league rules stating three points are to be deducted for every game an ineligible player was fielded. The club were also fined £150.

Naturally, the Buds – who have been in the National League for 17 seasons until this point – are “extremely upset” with the situation, according to their manager.

Lewis continued: “From our point of view, we can’t understand why the FAW would think that we are lying.

“These were two 18 year old lads who played a couple of games for us – there was no advantage gained.”

The Buds’ frustration has also been aimed at the Ardal Football League, with the club claiming they are still yet to receive any official confirmation of their removal from the league.

Lewis concluded: “We’re very disappointed by the outcome. This could turn into a downward spiral for the club.”

One town, one club – Aberbargoed’s football teams join forces

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Jaggery

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.