Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Bluebell field dug up without planning permission to make way for caravan site

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 16:12, Wednesday August 3rd, 2022.
Last updated: 17:05, Wednesday August 3rd, 2022

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Councillors have called on NRW to investigate the destruction of a bluebell field near Llanbradach
Bluebell Woods, near Llanbradach

A bluebell field near Llanbradach was dug up to make way for a caravan site – despite no planning permission being submitted.

On Monday, August 1, Caerphilly County Borough Council put a stop to the excavation works at what is known as Bluebell Woods and announced it would investigate what had happened.

In a letter to Plaid Cymru Senedd Members Delyth Jewell and Peredur Owen Griffiths on Wednesday, August 3, Caerphilly County Borough Council leader Sean Morgan provided an update on the investigation.

Cllr Morgan, leader of the council’s ruling Labour group, said the site inspection indicated that the works hadn’t extended into the ancient woodland or any designated areas.

Councillors have called on NRW to investigate the destruction of a bluebell field near Llanbradach
Excavation work was carried out at Bluebell Wood to make way for a caravan site

He said: “Following discussions with the contractor it appears that he had been employed by the landowner to level an area of land to accommodate five touring caravans as a Caravan Club Licensed Site.

“Works ceased on the site on Monday morning following officers’ intervention and the authority has been advised that the landowner will be submitting a planning application shortly for the proposed works.”

Cllr Morgan continued: “Should an application not be submitted in a timely manner the authority will consider whether to progress with formal action which may involve issuing an Enforcement Warning Notice to require the submission of a planning application or the issuing of an Enforcement Notice to require the reinstatement of the land.”

Investigation into bluebell field destruction underway

He added: “I also understand that Natural Resources Wales (NRW) have been notified regarding potential damage to flora and fauna protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act as this is a matter which falls within their remit.” 

Mr Owen Griffiths said: “To learn that the environmental destruction of this area carpeted with bluebells took place without permission or even any notification to the council, is surprising.

“The scale of the works shows a lack of knowledge about this local area and the views of local residents about just how important this area is. It appears there was no warning or consultation.

“This kind of behaviour will not endear the development and the business behind it to local people.”

Mr Owen Griffiths said feelings in the community are “running high” and praised the council for stopping the works.

He added: “This matter must now run its course through the system and I will monitor the situation carefully. I hope that remedial work is enforced if need be.

“I await to hear from Natural Resources Wales’ into the potential destruction of flora and fauna.”

A meeting to discuss the matter will be held at Llanbradach Community Centre at 7pm on Wednesday, August 3.

Caerphilly Senedd member Hefin David said: “I will be attending a public meeting this week to chat with local residents on the matter and will continue to liaise with the relevant parties, including the head of construction who were carrying out the works.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Plaid Cymru
Plaid Cymru

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.