Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Three officers suspended by Gwent Police over sexism, racism and homophobia claims

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 17:58, Friday November 25th, 2022.
Last updated: 17:58, Friday November 25th, 2022

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Ricky Jones served with Gwent Police for 26 years

Three police officers have been suspended following allegations of sharing misogynistic, racist and homophobic messages.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has begun an investigation after WhatsApp and Facebook messages were discovered on the phone of a deceased Gwent Police officer.

According to revelations first published by The Sunday Times, the messages were exchanged between 41 serving and retired Gwent Police officers.

As well as being offensive in nature, the messages also alluded to police corruption.

The phone belonged to ex-sergeant Ricky Jones, who took his own life in January 2020.

His family came forward with the phone after suffering years of controlling behaviour from him.

Speaking to Sky News, his widow Sharon and daughter Emma, whose names have been changed, said more needed to be done to help those who feel unable to report domestic abuse.

“I was trapped,” said Sharon.

“Wherever and whenever I went to any organisation, they would just always refer me back to the police.”

The family felt unable to go to the police because of Jones’ links to the force.

The IOPC said Wiltshire Police is currently investigating complaints from the family about Gwent Police’s handling of its investigation into Jones’ death and officers’ contact with them.

The family wants a new organisation set up to help people facing domestic abuse from serving officers.

The police watchdog has also requested further information from Gwent Police about former officers who are reported to have shared messages to establish whether they can be included in its investigation.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


IOPC Director for Wales, Catrin Evans, said: “I recognise that many people will find the messages aired in the public domain, apparently shared among police officers, highly disturbing.

Caerphilly Observer’s front page on November 17

“After publication of the national newspaper article, we formally wrote to the Chief Constable of Gwent Police requesting they provide us with information to establish the chain of events and decisions taken in relation to the family’s complaints, and any conduct matters. We had not previously received a referral from the force on any of these matters.

“On the basis of our assessment of the conduct referrals received so far, we have decided that an independent investigation is essential to maintain public confidence

“We will be investigating the alleged involvement of a number of serving Gwent Police officers in sharing offensive messages. We will keep the involvement of any further serving and former officers under review as more information comes to light. We will need to progress a full download of data from the phone of Mr Ricky Jones. I would ask for patience while we undertake our enquiries as swiftly and thoroughly as possible.”

The IOPC said it had received a referral from Gwent Police on November 15, concerning the family’s complaint and received three conduct referrals, on November 18, 19 and 23, relating to several serving and former officers identified as being involved in the phone messages.

In a statement, Gwent Police confirmed it had suspended three officers and said it was committed to working with the IOPC “to ensure a full and transparent process to tackle any unacceptable behaviour by officers.”

Chief Inspector appeals dismissal from Gwent Police for gross misconduct

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.