Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Residents to protest over Bluebell Woods sale outside Paul Fosh Auctions offices

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 18:32, Friday January 27th, 2023.
Last updated: 18:32, Friday January 27th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Bluebell Woods was much loved by the people of Llanbradach
Bluebell Woods was much loved by the people of Llanbradach

Campaigners who want to see a woodland brought into community ownership are set to protest outside the auctioneers selling it on behalf of the landowner.

Bluebell Woods, near Llanbradach, was dug up by contractors last summer without planning permission, destroying protected bluebells in the process.

Landowner Karl O’Dare had planned to create a five-pitch caravan site on the land – but excavation works were stopped by Caerphilly County Borough Council on August 1.

There was outrage from residents at the time, who have enjoyed the land for generations.

Following condemnation and protests from residents and local politicians alike, the landowner backed out of plans in late August following talks with the council – with the local authority stating the land would have to be restored.

Now, the freehold of the land, which covers around 12.5 hectares (31 acres), has been put up for auction – with a guide price of £145,000.

Councillors have called on NRW to investigate the destruction of a bluebell field near Llanbradach
The destruction of Bluebell Woods was met with anger from Llanbradach residents and the wider community

Newport-based Paul Fosh Auctions is handling the sale between January 31 and February 2. Campaigners have said they will stage a protest outside the firm’s Newport offices on Monday January 30.

The obligation to restore the woods is connected to land itself – meaning whoever buys it becomes liable.

But, there is no mention of this obligation on the listing on Paul Fosh Auctions’ website. This has seen residents criticise the firm on social media.

Paul Fosh, managing director of the eponymous auction company, told Caerphilly Observer the firm was still waiting for a legal pack from the seller’s solicitors which outlines obligations and restriction on the land.

He said: “The legal pack has not yet been received, much to our frustration. But we cannot take residents’ comments on restrictions – we can only say when it is confirmed to us in writing.

The auction is set to start at noon on Tuesday January 31, but Mr Fosh said this will be delayed if the legal pack has not been received and checked in time or was inadequate.

If any restrictions are confirmed in the legal pack, the auction could be suspended and relisted at another time with mention of the restrictions.

Coincidentally, Paul Fosh Auctions recently announced the acquisition of Everything Lettings – the firm in which Karl O’Dare is managing director.

However, Mr Fosh rebuffed social media criticism of this acquisition and said: “We have no financial interest in this land other than we have been approached to sell it.”

He confirmed the land in question was not included in the acquisition, meaning it was not owned by Everything Lettings as a company.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Fundraising efforts

Residents are trying to raise £150,000 to buy the land, but want the auction halted to give people more time to raise the funds.

So far, the GoFundMe appeal, which was launched on January 16, has raised £7,600 – with campaigners expecting that figure to double shortly.

Among the donors to the appeal was Llanbradach and Pwllypant Community Council, which donated £1,000.

Councillor Colin Mann said: “Ideally, we would like the sale of this land halted while we are fundraising.

“Any purchaser of this land would have to restore the ground damaged in line with the order from Caerphilly County Borough Council.

“The land does not have planning permission.”

Cllr Mann continued: “Residents are also concerned that the obligation to restore the land has not been included in the sale details.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Alison Stallard
Plaid Cymru

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.