Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Footbridge destroyed three years ago will be replaced, TfW insists despite delays

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 16:54, Monday July 3rd, 2023.
Last updated: 10:33, Tuesday July 4th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

A skip lorry stuck under the Tynygraig railway footbridge
A skip lorry stuck under the Tynygraig railway footbridge back in 2020

Tynygraig footbridge, which provides a vital pedestrian link over the Rhymney railway line in Llanbradach, will be replaced, Transport for Wales (TfW) has said.

The bridge was struck by a Caerphilly Skip Hire lorry at the end of May 2020 and it was later removed. more than three years on, it has still not been replaced – despite promises of a temporary bridge.

TfW said the new bridge is “going through a detailed design process before construction can begin”.

However, it has not indicated when the new bridge will be fitted.

After being approached by Caerphilly Observer, Tfw said: “There are a number of complexities around the replacement structure which have had to be taken into consideration, including collision protection to prevent a reoccurrence, consideration of the Overhead Line Equipment (for electrification of the railway line) as well as ground and land purchases, all of which have taken time to conclude.

“There will be further public engagement once the final design and installation programme have been established.”

TfW has faced criticism from Llanbradach councillors Colin Mann and Gary Enright over a lack of progress on the replacement bridge.

Llanbradach councillors Colin Mann, left, and Gary Enright
Llanbradach councillors Colin Mann, left, and Gary Enright

The two Plaid Cymru councillors recently wrote to TfW chief executive James Price to demand answers over the “unacceptable lengthy delays”.

In a letter to Mr Price, Cllr Mann criticised the length of time it has so far taken and said the community is “still anxiously waiting” for the replacement.

The Tynygraig footbridge after being hit by a skip lorry
The Tynygraig footbridge after being hit by a skip lorry

He also asked Mr Price for a “detailed and definite” timescale for the completion of the “much valued facility for the residents of Llanbradach”.

Cllr Mann continued: “You may well be aware that planning permission was granted some months back but the wait still goes on.”

It is understood TfW has been in talks with Caerphilly Skip Hire over buying a piece of land to accommodate the new bridge.

In his letter to “You will recall when you visited Llanbradach seeing the very long diversion needed to access Colliery Road by foot from the village.”

Councillor Enright said: “The continuing delay in getting this vital link re-established is unacceptable and what the people of Llanbradach need from TfW is for them to focus on getting the footbridge delivered as a matter of urgency.” 

A week before the bridge was hit in 2020, a petition was launched by Cllr Mann and ex-councillor Rob Gough over fears the bridge was going to be closed by TfW.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Cllr Colin Mann
CCBC
TfW

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.