Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Eighth man charged with violent disorder after Blackwood and Newbridge ‘brawl’

News | Tom Hicks | Published: 14:09, Wednesday February 19th, 2025.
Last updated: 14:09, Wednesday February 19th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

An eighth man has been charged following two mass brawls

A 29-year-old man from Pentwynmawr has become the eighth person charged with violent disorder after fighting in Blackwood and Newbridge last week.

Omed Pirot appeared in Newport Magistrates Court on Tuesday February 18 having initially been taken to hospital with injuries after the fighting on Thursday February 13.

Seven men, aged between 24 and 30, were remanded into custody following their appearance at the same court after they were all charged with violent disorder.

Detective Inspector Elaine Newbury, the senior investigating officer, said: “Reports of this type are very concerning to our communities, but it is thanks to the swift actions of those who reported this to us that we were able to act quickly and decisively.

“While these incidents are rare, they are still very serious and these arrests show that we will not tolerate this behaviour.

“Our connection to our communities drives us to keep Gwent safe, and we are proud to have worked swiftly and diligently for the residents of Blackwood and Newbridge to secure these eight charges.”

Newport Magistrates’ Court was told on Monday February 17 the disorder was in relation to a “turf war” between rival barbers over plans for a new shop in Newbridge.

Around 16 people were involved in the fights with several injured – including one with a stab wound.

The seven men charged with violent disorder are: Bave Hamed, 30, of Cwrt Bryn y Grug, Blackwood; Shahab Husseini, 24, of Clarence Street, Pontypool; Sardam Ebrahimi, 25, of Central Avenue, Oakdale; Bryar Muradi, 28, of Central Avenue, Oakdale; Alan Karimi, 30, of Malefant Street, Cardiff: Adnan Mohamad, 29, of Malefant Street, Cardiff; and Krmanj Sadiq, 29 of Ferry Court, Cardiff.

All of the defendants were refused bail and the court was told they all intend to plead not guilty.

They were remanded in custody and will appear next at crown court on March 17.

Police continue to appeal for information from the public. People can call 101, quoting the following log reference: Blackwood: 2500047958 and Newbridge: 2500047973 or contact the force via direct message on social media.

Crimestoppers can also be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Seven men appear in court charged with ‘violent disorder’ after Blackwood and Newbridge fights

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.