Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Council rethink on school transport cuts but some pupils still face six-mile round trips

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 15:31, Wednesday February 19th, 2025.
Last updated: 15:31, Wednesday February 19th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville over proposed cuts to their school bus
Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville last year over proposed cuts to their school bus

Primary school children in Caerphilly have been excluded from planned cuts to free pupil transport.

Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet members have agreed, following a public consultation, to pursue changes that will only affect secondary school-aged children.

Secondary pupils currently qualify for free transport if they live more than two miles from their school, but this could increase to three miles.

The proposals mean affected pupils may face up to six-mile round trip journeys on foot to attend lessons.

The council says this is in line with the Welsh Government’s rules on statutory transport provision.

The local authority argues its spending on school transport has ballooned from £6.4 million in 2015 to an estimated £12 million in 2024, and costs “are continuing to increase”.

Cllr Carol Andrews, the cabinet member for education, told a meeting of colleagues on Wednesday February 19 that the council’s current policy is “generous”.

Cllr Carol Andrews, Labour councillor for the Gilfach ward
Cllr Carol Andrews, cabinet member for education and communities

She explained Caerphilly is one of only three local authorities in Wales still providing transport above the statutory minimum.

Senior transport officer Kelly Adams said spending on the service had increased “significantly” due to rising fuel prices, an industry-wide shortage of drivers, and the impact of inflation affecting all aspects of the sector.

Sue Richards, the council’s head of education planning, added the number of pupils with additional learning needs (ALN) had also risen, requiring more expensive transport options.

Parents and pupils stage protest over proposed school bus cuts

The council has confirmed ALN pupils will not be affected by any changes to Caerphilly’s school transport policy.

Nearly 1,000 people took part in a public consultation on the initial proposals, and the vast majority said changes would directly impact them or their children.

The main area of concern for respondents was the additional distance and time it would take for children to walk to school.

More than 400 people said they would instead have to rely on a car.

At the cabinet meeting, Cllr Jamie Pritchard, the deputy leader, received his colleagues’ unanimous backing when he suggested tailoring the proposals to only include secondary-school pupils.

Cllr Jamie Pritchard, Labour councillor for the Morgan Jones ward
Cllr Jamie Pritchard, deputy leader of Caerphilly Council

On the recommendation of a backbench scrutiny committee, the council cannot make any changes until a “safe route assessment” is completed for each walking route, however.

An “experienced” specialist will be paid an estimated £192,500 for this work, which is expected to conclude in July for a final decision on the proposed changes.

Cllr Sean Morgan, the council leader, said it was “very important we are not marking our own homework” when the assessments are carried out.

The council expects to save nearly £1.1 million if it makes the proposed cuts to secondary-school transport.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Janine Reed
CCBC
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.