Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Llancaiach Fawr takeover ‘very much on track’ amid calls for council to ‘come clean’

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 11:00, Tuesday November 18th, 2025.
Last updated: 11:00, Tuesday November 18th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Llancaiach Fawr will be mothballed
Llancaiach Fawr has been mothballed since December 2024

Plans to “breathe new life” into Llancaiach Fawr are “very much on track”, the council’s leader has insisted.

The 17th-century manor house, near Nelson, was mothballed by the council last year in a bid to save £485,000 a year.

The venue has now been closed for nearly a year, despite the council announcing in July that a new operator had been identified to take over its running.

It has sparked questions from opposition councillors. Plaid Cymru’s Greg Ead asked: “Why is it taking so long to negotiate a deal with an operator? It would suggest there are problems but the council has put up a wall of silence.”

Figures obtained through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, submitted to the council by Cllr Ead, show the maintenance of Llancaiach Fawr is still costing the council £6,504 a month – but some of these costs have been offset by the hire of the site as a filming location. This has reduced the net spend at the end of October to an average £3,903 per month.

‘We can’t have another year of this’

Cllr Greg Ead, Plaid Cymru councillor for the Penyrheol ward
Cllr Greg Ead, Plaid Cymru councillor for the Penyrheol ward

Cllr Ead, who represents the Penyrheol ward, said council taxpayers “deserve to know what is happening” and suggested negotiations had hit a hurdle: “We can’t have another year of this much-loved asset being shut to the public.”

The Plaid councillor said he made a request for a question on the matter to be answered at a council meeting on Tuesday November 11, but said he was refused.

“What is this Labour council trying to hide from the public? They need to be honest and come clean,” he said.

‘Positive progress is still being made’

However, despite Cllr Ead’s concerns, the local authority insists “positive progress is still being made”.

A council spokesperson explained: “The lease has not as yet been signed with the preferred operator, as their submission outlined that they needed to establish a charity, who would act as the lessee.

“We are currently discussing opportunities for them taking occupancy of Llancaiach Fawr before the charity is formed and this has caused a time lag, but positive progress is still being made.”

Cllr Jamie Pritchard, who became the council’s leader earlier this month, said: “I would like to reassure the community that our plans to breathe new life into Llancaich Fawr are very much on track.”

Cllr Jamie Pritchard, Labour councillor for the Morgan Jones ward
Cllr Jamie Pritchard, leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council

Discussing the current situation, he said: “There is obviously a detailed process that we must follow when selecting a new operator for the site and this work continues.

“We will update the community about the latest developments at the appropriate time. We are excited about what the future holds.”

Responding to Cllr Ead’s criticism of the council, Cllr Pritchard said: “When I became the new leader last week, I said I wanted to work constructively with all members and that my door is open.

“I value meaningful conversations and engagement with all members and I could have told Cllr Ead the facts in a much quicker way if he came to the office for a simple chat, rather than asking via the press.”

Message of unity from council’s new leader

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
CCBC
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.