Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Minister refuses to comment on Caerphilly’s Welsh language education crisis

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 14:08, Tuesday December 13th, 2011.
Last updated: 16:50, Tuesday December 13th, 2011

Welsh Education Minister Leighton Andrews has refused to comment on the crisis that could see pupils in Caerphilly County Borough turned away from Welsh language schools.

Demand for Welsh-medium education is outstripping supply at a dramatic rate and plans to boost capacity has been pushed back because of funding cuts from the Welsh Government.

Mr Andrews refused to comment as he attended the official opening of St James’ Primary School in Lansbury Park.

Asked by Caerphilly Observer about the state of Welsh language provision the Minister replied: “I’m not in a position to comment.”

Caerphilly County Borough Council wants to turn the old St Ilan school, which closed in 2007 and is situated on Pontygwindy Road, into a Welsh-medium school for pupils aged between 11 to 14.

Instead of going to Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, Year 7 pupils living in the Caerphilly basin would go to the new school. The original plan was to have the new school open by September 2012 but this has been delayed by at least a year.

In July, the Welsh Government announced cuts to its 21st Century Schools programme meaning the council will have to cover 50% of the cost of the new scheme – instead of the original 30%.

If current demand for Welsh language places continue, then children could be turned away from Welsh schools by September 2013.

Last month a 1,200 name petition was handed into the Assembly demanding action.

5 thoughts on “Minister refuses to comment on Caerphilly’s Welsh language education crisis”

  1. Richard Williams says:
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 10:51

    The Welsh Medium school at St. Ilan is urgently required and the Welsh Assembly should honour the original commitment to fund 50% of the cost. It really is as simple as that, this school wil provide secondary Welsh Medium education in the town rather than forcing the children to travel. Perhaps if Leighton Andrews cannot answer, for some reason, the AMs for Caerffili and South East Wales could tell us what their views are?

    Log in to Reply
  2. johnowen says:
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 18:45

    I`m not surprised Leighon Andrews seems to get everything with Education wrong, he doesnt understand the University system, and has devised a banding system for schools that is laughable. Regarding the demand for a new Welsh school in Caerphilly, he probably thinks as do most Labour politicians these people dont vote Labour, so why bother with them. They dont realise they are there to work for all the electorate.

    Log in to Reply
  3. Mike Owen says:
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 20:50

    Not in a position to comment! – Really? He's the Education Minister for crying out loud, if he isn't in a position to comment who is??

    Log in to Reply
  4. ron james says:
    Friday, December 16, 2011 at 15:09

    He s a member of the Labour Party so what do you expect, the Labour Party has always been anti Welsh. The founder members being mainly west country migrants to the coal field who saw Welsh as on the one hand as the langauge of the locla establishment and the Liberal party and on the other as a foriegn langauge.

    Log in to Reply
  5. ronjames says:
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 15:34

    I heard rumors on the weekend, that three English Medium Comprehesives were to close to fund the proposed new Welsh Comprehensive. This is a dangerous false comment because the closure of the three English medium schools is due to falling rolls and a surplus of places, indeed St Ilan, the site for the proposd Welsh medium school, was closed when the Labour Party were in control.

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.