Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Caerphilly Council appoints acting chief executive in wake of pay scandal

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 17:52, Tuesday March 12th, 2013.

Caerphilly County Borough councillors have appointed Nigel Barnett as acting chief executive of the local authority.

The appointment of Mr Barnett, the council’s deputy chief executive, was agreed at a meeting of full council on Tuesday March 12.

The move follows the recent suspension of Anthony O’Sullivan who stepped aside after a damning report by the Wales Audit Office was published. The report, published last week, deemed a council decision to award huge pay rises to Mr O’Sullivan and other top council bosses “unlawful”.

Following its publication Gwent Police referred the report to Avon and Somerset Police believing there were ground for further investigation. As a result, Mr O’Sullivan was suspended.

Council leader Harry Andrews said: “I am pleased that we have agreed and implemented strong interim management arrangements to lead the authority after the disruption of the last few months.

“We have taken decisive action to ensure that the controversy around Senior Pay can be fully investigated and would like to assure everyone that this will be a thorough and rigorous process.

“We recognise that the council’s reputation has been damaged by this issue, however, I want to send a clear message to the people of the county borough that we are an efficient and effective organisation committed to protecting services and delivering real benefits for the whole community.

“Our main objective is to get the council back on track and continue on our steady course during these difficult economic times.”

1 thought on “Caerphilly Council appoints acting chief executive in wake of pay scandal”

  1. Cllr. Richard Willia says:
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 18:18

    The Auditors report into the unlawful activities that resulted in the in the suspension of the Chief Executive can be found at the website,

    http://www.wao.gov.uk

    The report is clear and concise and catalogues a series of highly irregular events that surrounded the decision to award these huge pay rises.

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.