Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Caerphilly Council bosses misconduct plea adjourned

News | | Published: 10:02, Thursday September 4th, 2014.
Last updated: 09:16, Friday September 5th, 2014

Anthony O'Sullivan, Nigel Barnett, and Daniel Perkins
Anthony O’Sullivan, Nigel Barnett, and Daniel Perkins

Three senior bosses at Caerphilly County Borough Council have appeared in court charged with misconduct in a public office.

Chief executive Anthony O’Sullivan, 55, of Ashley Grove, Penydarren Park, his deputy Nigel Barnett, 51, of Cwrt Neuadd Wen, Aberbargoed, and head of legal Daniel Perkins, 48, of Tudor Crescent, Brynmawr, appeared at Bristol Crown Court on September 2.

The trio had been due to enter a plea at the hearing, but the case was adjourned until October 3.

None of the men, all released on unconditional bail, entered a plea.

A trial date of January 5, 2015 has been set with the trial expected to last between three and four weeks.

The court appearances follow a police investigation into huge pay rises awarded to senior council bosses.

O’Sullivan, Barnett and Perkins are currently suspended from the council on full pay.

2 thoughts on “Caerphilly Council bosses misconduct plea adjourned”

  1. Mark O'Neill says:
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 13:01

    They should’nt be paid to sit on their large backsides while they are waiting for their day in court.

    1. Cllr Richard Williams says:
      Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 15:04

      Mark, I do not see there is a choice in paying these people awaiting trial. They are innocent until proven guilty and if the court finds that the former is the case the council would find itself in the difficult legal position of forestalling the due legal process which wouid prove very expensive.

      The court needs to consider all the evidence and may well decide that there are others who have a case to answer and that one, two or all the defendants are innocent. I am content to let justice take its course, the real scandal in my opinion, is not that these men are being paid whilst on bail but that their wages, and those who may replace them, are far too high. It is time realistic wages were paid to top council officers. There is no way that they could earn this amount of money in the private sector.

Comments are closed.

Latest News

  • The new Class 231 train
    No trains between Rhymney and Cardiff for week-long tunnel worksFriday, February 20, 2026
  • doctor stock image
    Health boards working together amid global supply shortageFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.