Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Men honoured for dragging 94-year-old man out of his burning Caerphilly home

News | | Published: 09:00, Tuesday January 27th, 2015.
Last updated: 09:25, Wednesday January 28th, 2015

Two men who dragged a 94-year-old man out of his burning home have been honoured with civic awards.

They entered Frank Thomas’ smoke filled house on Heol-y-Pia, Glenfields, Caerphilly, after his friend Peggy Leigh could not get past the fumes.

Carl Davies, of Heol-y-Pia, was returning home from work when he and Paul Davies from Swansea, who was working in the area, pulled the pensioner out of the fire.

Mr Thomas sadly died, but Ms Leigh thought the heroic actions of the men should be noticed and wrote to AM and Penyrheol councillor Lindsay Whittle.

Ms Leigh said: “Frank belonged to the same church as me, St Cenydd Road Presbyterian, and several of us used to keep an eye on him. I came across the fire which, I believe, was caused by a smouldering heater when I called in.

“I tried to get into the house twice but could not get past the second door because the black smoke was creating a choking atmosphere.

“But these brave men came along and pulled Frank out. I felt it was important their actions were recognised.”

Mr Whittle wrote to the Penyrheol, Energlyn and Trecenydd Community Council to notify them of the incident, which happened in March last year, and they presented the pair with awards.

He said: “These men fully deserve these awards for their bravery because they went into a smoke-filled house to bring Frank out in very difficult circumstances.”

Councillor Steve Skivens, chair of the community council, and a former senior fire officer, said: “These men were very brave in entering the property and rescuing Mr Thomas.

“Unfortunately he later died, but he received medical attention making his last few hours more comfortable.

“Anyone who enters a house on fire will find themselves in a dangerous and scary place.

“Although I wouldn’t recommend such action, on this occasion I recognise these men’s courage and determination to rescue this man in his hour of need.”

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • The new Class 231 train
    No trains between Rhymney and Cardiff for week-long tunnel worksFriday, February 20, 2026
  • doctor stock image
    Health boards working together amid global supply shortageFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.