Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Blaze to Serbia convoy sets off from Caerphilly Castle with donated fire engine

News | | Published: 11:00, Thursday October 29th, 2015.

BLAZING SQUAD: (Left to right) Simon Harris, Watch Manager at South Wales Fire and Rescue headquarters; Steve Kitchin of Barrett Homes; Phil Logan, Watch Manager at Caerphilly Fire Station; Philip Mock, Crew Manager at the MoD; and Steve Logan, Station Commander at Caerphilly Fire Station
BLAZING SQUAD: (Left to right) Simon Harris, Watch Manager at South Wales Fire and Rescue headquarters; Steve Kitchin of Barrett Homes; Phil Logan, Watch Manager at Caerphilly Fire Station; Philip Mock, Crew Manager at the MoD;
and Steve Logan, Station Commander at Caerphilly Fire Station

A fire engine donated from an oil refinery in West Wales is the latest appliance to hit the road for a new working life overseas.

The fire engine is the latest vehicle to be donated through the Blazing to Serbia project.

Originally set up in 2011 by Steve Logan, Station Commander at Caerphilly Fire Station, the project helps developing fire brigades in Serbia gain access to more modern firefighting equipment.

In the four years of the project, 23 fire engines have been donated to Serbia, with 22 coming from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service and one from power tools manufacturer Bosch, which had an old engine at its former plant.

The 24th engine has been donated from the Valero oil refinery in Pembrokeshire and is heading to Bosnia

Mr Logan, who set off on his 18th journey on Tuesday, October 27, said: “The equipment they use in Serbia’s capital Belgrade is very modern, but as soon as you head into the towns and villages it’s a different story. I joined Mid Glamorgan fire service in 1982 and when I joined, wooden ladders had already been gone for 30 years plus.

“In Serbia, wooden ladders are still in use, so the aluminium ladders that have been donated will make a massive difference.”

Mr Logan said the project has seen firm friendships struck up with colleagues in Serbia, but that each trip also meant meeting new people and establishing more relationships.

The 1,500 mile road trip, which started at Caerphilly Castle, will take in Germany, Hungary and Serbia, is set to take six days, with the fire engine being delivered to Mostar in Bosnia on Sunday, November 1.

The cost of taking the fire engines overseas has been met by various charitable fundraising events over the past four years.

For more information about the project visit www.blazingtoserbia.co.uk, or find them on Facebook or Twitter.

1 thought on “Blaze to Serbia convoy sets off from Caerphilly Castle with donated fire engine”

  1. Pete says:
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 12:15

    Now that is common sense charity. Absolutely brilliant!

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.