A community has rallied together to help a man whose home was severely damaged by fire.
Robert Wells was taken to hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation when a blaze ravaged through his mid-terrace house on October 25.
Firefighters were at the scene for more than 16 hours before it was declared safe – but the fire caused severe damage to both floors and the roof of the property.
Two neighbouring houses on Tridwr Road, Abertridwr, were also damaged and in response a Facebook page was set up to help Mr Wells and his neighbours.
Well-wishers are donating much-needed items to Mr Wells, via the Aber Hotel pub in the village, and have set up a Just Giving page to raise money.
Aber Valley councillor Lyndon Binding explained: “It’s a great response that’s being led by a number of key individuals to help this chap.
“The whole community is coming together and offering things like furniture and clothes and even toiletries, as we are looking at what will be needed in the longer term.”
The Facebook page ‘Help for Robert Wells (and affected neighbours)’ shows people have donated televisions and even offered whole bathroom suites and free scaffold.
Organiser Debby Daniels said: “I don’t even know Robert, I just thought it would be nice to get something going for him as I know the two villages [Abertridwr and Senghenydd] are brilliant and now it’s just overwhelming.
“It’s just amazing, I can’t believe it myself and Caerphilly Asda and Carpet Castle have offered to help.
“I’m getting choked up to be honest with the donations of furniture and electrical goods, and the Just Giving page has already raised more than £500.”
The response is also being coordinated by Annmarie Boucher, Sheryl Jones and Tony DiBlasi.
Aber Hotel has opened a room for storage of items, which can betaken to the premises after 5pm on weekdays and after 12pm on the weekend.
To donate money to help those affected visit crowdfunding.justgiving.com/tony-diblasi.