Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Three men appear in court charged with murdering child killer David Gaut

News | | Published: 13:05, Thursday August 9th, 2018.
Last updated: 16:14, Monday August 13th, 2018

The flat in Long Row, where Mr Gaut’s body was discovered © WALES NEWS SERVICE

Three men have appeared in court accused of the murder of child killer David Gault.

Darren Evesham, 47, Ieuan Harley, 23, and David Osbourne, 51, were remanded in custody after appearing at Newport Magistrates’ Court this morning, Thursday, August 9.

Gaut, 54, was found dead at his flat on Long Row in New Tredegar on Saturday, August 4.

A murder investigation was launched by Gwent Police and three men were arrested.

All three men – Evesham, of Powell’s Terrace, New Tredegar, Harley, of no fixed abode, and Osbourne, of Long Row, New Tredegar – were accused of the same charge. Dressed in t-shirts, the men spoke only to confirm their names and addresses during the short hearing.

Chair of the bench Jennifer Hutchinson said all three men will remain in custody before appearing at Newport Crown Court on August 13.

• David Gaut, then 21, was jailed for life in July 1985 for the murder and torture of a 17-month-old boy just 11 miles from New Tredegar.

Gaut was babysitting his girlfriend’s son Chi Ming Shek – known as Marky – when he battered, kicked, and burned the sole of the child’s foot.

The baby’s mum Jane Pickthall, then 23, had been out drinking and left Gaut to look after her two young children.

She arrived home in Caerphilly and made love to Gaut – but the next day she found her son’s dead body under a chest of drawers.

A murder trial at Cardiff Crown Court heard Gaut tried to make the death look accidental.

Unemployed Gaut told police Marky had got out of the cot and claimed he smacked the tot’s bottom but he fell down the stairs.

He said he gave Marky mouth to mouth and put him back in the cot – because he “looked all right.”

The baby died of multiple injuries including a broken arm, injured liver and spleen and a fractured skull.

Gaut was convicted of murder and jailed for life in July 1985

Police had originally refused to confirm or deny whether the murder victim was the same man, but his identity has since been confirmed by them.

Wales News Service

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • ‘Shock’ over scale of payout to council’s former chief executiveThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Mair Arthur, the landlady of the White Cross Inn, measuring the depth of a pothole in Groeswen Lane
    Extra road resurfacing pledge after pothole patch-ups branded ‘a waste of time’Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Fresh concerns over reduced hours at leisure centreThursday, May 21, 2026
  • CAERPHILLY: Council set to hand over bowling greens to two community clubs
    Council set to hand over bowling greens to two community clubsThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Ty Hywel is located behind the Senedd
    Senedd Commission to decide future of Ty Hywel office buildingThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Caerphilly Runners invites beginners to join free Sofa to 5k sessionsThursday, May 21, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.