“Disgusting and disrespectful” – World War One centenary figures damaged in Bargoed
News | Richard Gurner | Published: 15:56, Monday October 8th, 2018.
Two World War One commemorative figures in Bargoed have been damaged by thoughtless vandals.
The figures, part of the Silent Silhouettes project by the Royal British Legion, commemorate the 100th anniversary since the end of the First World War and are on display in Hanbury Square. Each cost around £250.
Cllr Vivienne Stephens, leader of Bargoed Town Council which originally paid for the figures, said: “We were gutted. We bought them last year and had no trouble [when they were first on display]. We’ve reported it to the police and they will be looking at the CCTV footage.
“We’ve had lots of support from people and think what happened is disgusting and disrespectful.”
It is thought that a large group of youths descended on the town square on Saturday night and caused the damage. According to Cllr Stephens, the town has been plagued by antisocial behaviour from similar groups over the last few weeks.
A Gwent Police spokeswoman said: “The offence is believed to have occurred sometime between 7pm on October 6 and and 8am on October 8.
“Anyone with information is asked to please call 101 quoting log 93 08/10/2018 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”