Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Work to refurbish footbridge underway

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 11:52, Tuesday July 14th, 2020.
Last updated: 12:06, Tuesday July 14th, 2020
Trecenydd footbridge

Work to refurbish Trecenydd footbridge is underway.

The work will involve repainting the footbridge, addressing issues with drainage and corrosion, as well as making improvements to its anti-skid surfacing.

The refurbishment, which is being carried out by Caerphilly County Borough Council, is expected to last more than six weeks, with the footbridge scheduled to reopen to pedestrians on August 28.

Work was set to be carried out last year, but was deferred so that council officers could “consider a method of working which minimises disruption to the public”.

On Monday, July 13, work to build a temporary pelican crossing on the A469 began, with the footbridge remaining open to pedestrians until Friday, July 17.

On July 17, the footbridge will close to pedestrians and the temporary crossing will open.

Railway footbridge will be replaced, Transport for Wales says

Meanwhile, work to temporarily remove the footbridge will start on July 17, with the A469 between Trecenydd roundabout and Pwllypant roundabout closed between 10pm and 9am on Saturday morning (July 18), with diversions in place.

Work to refurbish the footbridge will be carried out off-site.

On August 22, the footbridge will be reinstated, with an overnight closure of the A469 between 11pm and 1pm on Saturday, August 23.

The footbridge will reopen to pedestrians on August 28 after safety checks have been carried out.

Social distancing and hygiene measures will be in place throughout the process to protect workers on the site during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement, the council said: “We appreciate the impact the construction works will have on both traffic flows and pedestrians and we apologise in advance for any inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.”

Penyrheol ward councillor Lindsay Whittle said it was “essential” that the work is carried out.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


However, Cllr Whittle said he wrote to the council in April, saying that the coronavirus pandemic presented the perfect opportunity to start the works with minimal disruption, as the project was “clearly on the shelf ready to go”, having been deferred last year.

But a council spokesperson said: “All planned works were on hold as directed by Welsh Government.

“We have been allowed to resume planned maintenance in recent weeks where the contractor is able to demonstrate to us that a robust Covid-19 safe system of work is in place before works can commence.

“A single lane closure will be in place whilst the pelican crossing is installed across the A469, then there will be limited single lane closures throughout the duration of the works, concluding the last week of August. Local members were consulted with regard to the planned works and timescales.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.