The chief executive of Caerphilly County Borough Council has said the borough has to “act fast” to prevent a second coronavirus peak.
Chief executive Christina Harrhy spoke about the council’s response to the coronavirus pandemic at a meeting last week.
Caerphilly was the first local authority area in Wales to go into a local lockdown – with residents banned from leaving the county borough, unless they have a reasonable excuse such as to go to work or school.
Speaking about the recent rise in cases in Caerphilly, Ms Harrhy said: “In the UK we are in the top two. We have to act fast. We are in a really precarious position.
“We very much have to keep an eye out on further outbreaks.”
Ms Harrhy said the council is conducting a weekly review, with the first one expected this week.
Welsh Government will be reviewing the situation in Caerphilly every three weeks.
“Covid has been all-consuming for us over the last few months and will certainly continue to be over the coming months,” Ms Harrhy said.
“Myself and the corporate management team have many years of local government experience and we have never ever experienced anything like this.”
- Protest at Caerphilly Castle over coronavirus pandemic
- Police release CCTV images as part of investigation into woman’s death
- Royal Welsh Veterans Association support ex-servicewoman who served in Northern Ireland
- Police action against those who “knowingly” flout firebreak lockdown rules
- Dawn Bowden MS: Firebreak lockdown “a tough decision, but the right one”
- Supermarkets banned from selling ‘non-essential’ goods during firebreak lockdown
As Caerphilly entered local lockdown on September 8, it became compulsory to wear face masks in indoor public spaces, such as shops, banks and hairdressers.
These measures were then introduced across Wales on Monday (September 14).
Lockdown measures also saw extended households banned in Caerphilly, meaning people from different households can only meet outdoors while maintaining a two-metre distance.
Welsh Government has said it will take several weeks for the effects of the local lockdown to be felt.
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
For the last ten years, Caerphilly Observer has provided an award-winning, balanced, and independent news service to the people of Caerphilly County Borough.
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member