Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Council accused of having ‘money to burn’ over shopping centre payments

Newport | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 14:38, Friday April 24th, 2026.
Last updated: 14:38, Friday April 24th, 2026

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Friars Walk shopping centre, Newport, pictured in April 2026
Friars Walk shopping centre, Newport, pictured in April 2026

Newport City Council’s subsidy payments towards a shopping centre deal have passed £4.5 million, according to figures obtained by the local authority’s Conservative group.

In return, the council has received less than £500,000 in income linked to occupancy levels of Friars Walk, in the city centre.

Cllr Matthew Evans, who leads the local authority’s Conservative group, said he was “absolutely staggered” by the council’s spending on the centre and accused decision-makers of having “money to burn”.

Newport City Council said previously the Friars Walk deal would be an overall financial benefit to the local authority, even if it paid out the maximum subsidy each year. 

It did not provide a comment in response to Cllr Evans’ claims.

Cllr Matthew Evans, leader of Newport Council's Conservative group
Cllr Matthew Evans, leader of Newport Council’s Conservative group

Senior councillors agreed in 2017 the authority would top up the shopping centre’s income each year if it was not making enough rent.

A maximum of £500,000 would be paid out each year over the course of the 15-year deal, totalling a potential overall payout of £7.5 million.

The council has argued this deal represented “best value” to the council, which even if it paid out the full annual subsidies would still come out on top – because it received £8 million to sign the deal.

In addition, the terms mean the council can receive some income payments if the shopping centre is doing well.

Plans for six new homes above ‘derelict’ city-centre unit

According to the figures obtained by Cllr Evans’ party group, the council has only received those income payments in the first two years of the deal.

Cllr Evans said he believed the money had been “squandered” and could have been better spent elsewhere.

“Think how many additional social services staff could have been employed, or potholes fixed,” he said. “I seem to recall when I questioned the decision taken by the cabinet at the time, I was told this was merely ‘an insurance policy which would never need to be called on’.

He also noted a separate £6 million loan repayment to the council, for the redevelopment of the city’s indoor market, had not been completed on time.

“It would seem they have money to burn,” he added of the local authority.

Newport City Council was invited to comment on Cllr Evans’ claims, but had not responded at the time of publication.

Clarity sought over impact of university’s job cuts plan on city

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

LDRS
Matthew Evans

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.