Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

No backing for call to consider WW2-style rationing over Middle East fears

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 17:05, Wednesday May 20th, 2026.
Last updated: 17:06, Wednesday May 20th, 2026

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Cllr Sean Morgan, leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council
Cllr Sean Morgan, Green Party councillor for Nelson

A Caerphilly councillor’s calls for rationing-style planning has failed to win the support of his colleagues.

Cllr Sean Morgan said a “protracted” war in the Middle East would impact on local communities by limiting access to “essential resources” such as food and energy.

He warned the closure of the Strait of Hormuz – at the centre of the USA and Israel’s conflict with Iran – had “already caused petrol prices to spike” and would lead to “a huge reduction in the availability of produce in the very near future”.

But the former council leader, who joined the Greens after quitting Labour and the top job last year, was unable to garner support for his motion, which called on the council to pressure the UK Government into planning for the worst.

His motion, had it been successful, would have asked the current council leader to write to the UK Government and “consider the outcomes for already struggling families should market forces be the only mechanism by which food and fuel is allocated”.

The government should “prepare for a fair way to allocate scarce resources should the conflict continue into many months”, including the possibility of a “fair allocation policy, such as the rationing system adopted in the Second World War”, his motion read.

Councillor says UK should consider rationing if Middle East war continues

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


CCBC

Latest News

  • Cllr Sean Morgan, leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council
    No backing for call to consider WW2-style rationing over Middle East fearsWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Cllr Charlotte Bishop is the new leader of Caerphilly Council's Plaid Cymru group
    Council backs knife crime awareness pledge and mental health supportWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Voluntary sector committee axed under changes to council meetingsWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Ojay James
    Reckless driver recalled to prison following releaseWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Bargoed May Fair was held on May 9
    Bargoed May Fair brings 3,300 visitors to townWednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Reform's Wales leader Dan Thomas speaking in the Senedd
    Reform leader unveils his party’s shadow cabinetWednesday, May 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.