Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Coronavirus: 12 people have died in Wales

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 13:09, Sunday March 22nd, 2020.
Last updated: 13:09, Sunday March 22nd, 2020

A total of 12 people have now died after contracting Covid-19, with the number of Welsh cases up to 347.

Announcing seven deaths today, Sunday, March 22, Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr Frank Atherton, said: “My thoughts are with their families and friends, and I ask that their privacy is respected at this very sad time.”

Five of the deaths were at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, one in Nevill Hall and one in Prince Charles Hospital.

All were in the high-risk category, either over-70 or with underlying health conditions. No further details are available at this stage.

Two deaths were announced on Sunday adding to the three previously announced during the week.

Community life changed

Life in Wales has been transformed by measures implemented by the UK and Welsh governments to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

In a statement issued on Friday, Wales’ First Minister Mark Drakeford said: “Health is a devolved responsibility, and as Welsh Ministers, we will tonight exercise our powers under the 1984 Public Health Act in order to close restaurants, pubs, bars and other facilities where people gather.

“This also includes leisure centres, gyms, cinemas, theatres and betting shops. I will sign the necessary regulations later tonight, and they will come into force immediately.

“We do not take this move lightly, and we know this will be immensely difficult for those employed in the industries affected.

“But this is the right thing to do. We are tackling this virus in a controlled and determined way to protect and care for the most vulnerable people in our society.

“Together we can make that difference.”

1 thought on “Coronavirus: 12 people have died in Wales”

  1. j daniels says:
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 22:27

    why isnt wales in lockdown

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.