A total of 12 people have now died after contracting Covid-19, with the number of Welsh cases up to 347.
Announcing seven deaths today, Sunday, March 22, Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr Frank Atherton, said: “My thoughts are with their families and friends, and I ask that their privacy is respected at this very sad time.”
Five of the deaths were at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, one in Nevill Hall and one in Prince Charles Hospital.
All were in the high-risk category, either over-70 or with underlying health conditions. No further details are available at this stage.
Two deaths were announced on Sunday adding to the three previously announced during the week.
Community life changed
Life in Wales has been transformed by measures implemented by the UK and Welsh governments to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
In a statement issued on Friday, Wales’ First Minister Mark Drakeford said: “Health is a devolved responsibility, and as Welsh Ministers, we will tonight exercise our powers under the 1984 Public Health Act in order to close restaurants, pubs, bars and other facilities where people gather.
“This also includes leisure centres, gyms, cinemas, theatres and betting shops. I will sign the necessary regulations later tonight, and they will come into force immediately.
“We do not take this move lightly, and we know this will be immensely difficult for those employed in the industries affected.
“But this is the right thing to do. We are tackling this virus in a controlled and determined way to protect and care for the most vulnerable people in our society.
“Together we can make that difference.”