Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Coronavirus rates in Caerphilly below Welsh average

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 13:05, Monday March 29th, 2021.
Last updated: 13:05, Monday March 29th, 2021

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

A social distancing warning sign near Caerphilly Castle
A social distancing warning sign near Caerphilly Castle

Coronavirus rates in Caerphilly County Borough have fallen below the Welsh average.

Latest figures, released by Public Health Wales, show 68 new cases of coronavirus were recorded in the borough between March 18 and March 24.

This equates to 37.6 cases per 100,000 people, which is marginally below the Wales-wide figure of 38.1 cases per 100,000 people.

https://caerphilly.observer/news/995549/daily-coronavirus-statistics/

Of the 2,682 tests carried out in the borough in that time, 2.5% came back positive. Across Wales, that figure is 2.8%.

In recent months, coronavirus cases across Wales and the borough have been declining, but Caerphilly has consistently had one of the highest rates in the country since becoming the first council area to be placed under a local lockdown in September.

Transmission rates in the borough have consistently been higher than the Welsh average.

In December, Wales was placed under Alert Level 4 restrictions due to a surge in cases. These restrictions have been eased in recent weeks, with the Welsh Government lifting the stay local rules and easing restrictions around meeting people from other households outdoors.

A further easing of measures is expected to come into force from April 12, with all non-essential shops and close contact services allowed to reopen, while pupils will return to the classrooms.

Dr Giri Shankar, of Public Health Wales, said: “This slight easing of Covid lockdown rules is encouraging, however while the number of cases is declining overall, there are still several areas which have significantly higher rates.

“This is a stark reminder of the need for everyone to maintain constant vigilance, by practising hand hygiene, keeping two metres apart from people that you don’t live with, and wearing a mask in indoor environments.

“It is clear that coronavirus has not gone away, and there are still a large number of people who have not been vaccinated.  In order to protect everyone, including the most vulnerable, we must all stick to the rules.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Who has been vaccinated so far?

More than 1.4 million people in Wales have received their first coronavirus vaccine dose, while more than 416,000 have had received both doses.

The percentage of people in Wales who have received their first and second vaccine is broken down below:

Care home residents: 96.2% first dose; 64.3% second dose

Care home workers: 88.3% first dose; 70% second dose

Healthcare workers: 91.4% first dose; 78.4% second dose

Social care workers: 43,410 first dose; 35,452 second dose

Aged 80 and above: 94.9% first dose; 23.8% second dose

Aged 75-79: 95.5% first dose; 41.5% second dose

Aged 70-74: 94.9% first dose; 45.4% second dose

Clinically extremely vulnerable people aged 16-69 : 91.5% first dose; 21.4% second dose

Aged 65-69: 92.8% first dose; 19.2% second dose

Clinical risk groups aged 16 to 64: 78.1% first dose; 3% second dose

Aged 60-64: 88.3% first dose; 11.7% second dose

Aged 55-59: 74.8% first dose; 12.6% second dose

Aged 50-54: 47.8% first dose; 12.5% second dose

Welsh Government has said everyone in the first nine priority groups will have been offered a coronavirus vaccine by the middle of April. Everyone else who is eligible for a vaccine will have been offered one by July 31.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Caerphilly Media

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.