Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

“The law is an ass” when it comes to protecting Llanbradach’s Bluebell Woods

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 16:32, Thursday August 4th, 2022.
Last updated: 19:03, Thursday August 4th, 2022

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

A public meeting was held at Llanbradach Community Centre on August 3
A public meeting was held at Llanbradach Community Centre on August 3

Bluebell Woods, which is near Llanbradach, was dug up over the weekend to make way for a caravan site – despite no planning permission being submitted.

More than 100 residents attended a public meeting on Wednesday night to voice their anger at the destruction of the popular beauty spot..

The meeting, which was held at Llanbradach Community Centre, was called at short notice after an outpouring of dismay on social media and was chaired by Plaid Cymru Llanbradach councillor Colin Mann.

Caerphilly County Borough Council put a stop to the works on August 1 and announced an investigation into what had happened.

Councillors have called on NRW to investigate the destruction of a bluebell field near Llanbradach
Bluebell Woods, near Llanbradach
Bluebell Woods has been dug up by contractors - despite there being no planning permission to do so
Bluebell Woods has been dug up by contractors – despite there being no planning permission to do so

Cllr Mann expressed fears the land “may never regenerate to its original condition even if attempts were made to do so”.

He said: “A representative of the contractors who have done the work addressed the meeting and answered many questions. People acknowledged the fact he had attended but, it is fair to say, were not happy with many of the answers. 

“It was pointed out several times that, amongst other issues, there seemed to be a great lack of due diligence in the process.”

He continued: “The council has now issued a stop notice and told the developer to apply for permission but huge damage has been done.”

He criticised Natural Resources Wales (NRW) for being “very reluctant” to get involved and added: “I was told that an owner can dig up wildflowers but is only liable to prosecution if they attempt to sell them, although this view has been questioned. 

“If I or any member of the public even picked the flowers, we could be liable to prosecution. The well-known comment comes to mind that ‘the law is an ass’.”

Meanwhile, Llanbradach community councillor Beci Newton gave a passionate speech in the meeting. She said: “My children are the fifth generation of my family who have enjoyed the bluebells for many many years. This is vandalism. 

“I taught my son, when he was three, that it was wrong to pick the bluebells – now this happens. It is totally wrong.”

Bluebell Woods was much loved by the people of Llanbradach
Bluebell Woods was much loved by the people of Llanbradach

Protesters are planning to hold a protest march to the site in the coming weeks.

Council investigation

In a letter to Plaid Cymru Senedd Members Peredur Owen Griffiths and Delyth Jewell, Caerphilly County Borough Council leader Sean Morgan provided an update on the council’s investigation into the controversy.

Labour councillor Morgan said: “Following discussions with the contractor, it appears that he had been employed by the landowner to level an area of land to accommodate five touring caravans as a Caravan Club Licensed Site.

“Works ceased on the site on Monday morning following officers’ intervention and the authority has been advised that the landowner will be submitting a planning application shortly for the proposed works.”

Karl O’Dare, who is the managing director of a company called Everything Holidays Ltd, is reportedly the landowner. He is believed to currently be out of the country.

Cllr Morgan continued: “Should an application not be submitted in a timely manner the authority will consider whether to progress with formal action, which may involve issuing an Enforcement Warning Notice to require the submission of a planning application or the issuing of an Enforcement Notice to require the reinstatement of the land.”

“No specific remit”

Caerphilly’s Labour Senedd Member, Hefin David, has been in contact with NRW about the matter and said: “I’ve had an update from NRW who say that as the site is not listed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) they have no specific remit for this area of land.”

He continued: “Any works of this nature should only be completed with planning permission in place and NRW would normally be consulted through this process.

“They also told me that their officers are supporting Caerphilly Council in their investigation.

“I will continue to work with local members on this and will ensure that voices of the community are heard.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Lynn Gazal
Plaid Cymru
Alison Stallard
Alison Stallard

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.