Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Decision expected on school transport cuts after road safety reviews

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 12:23, Tuesday August 19th, 2025.
Last updated: 14:16, Wednesday August 20th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville over proposed cuts to their school bus
Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville over proposed cuts to their school bus in 2024

Caerphilly councillors will revisit proposals in September to cut school transport services for older pupils.

The county borough council paused the plans earlier this year, after backbenchers called for safety reviews on walking routes affected by the proposed changes.

The local authority also agreed to scrap mooted cuts to primary school transport, but the proposal on the table this autumn could see secondary-aged pupils making six-mile round trips on foot each day.

Currently, pupils across the borough qualify for free school transport if they live more than two miles from school, but the council now wants to increase this minimum distance to three miles.

It argues this complies with the Welsh Government’s rules on statutory provision, and would be in line with the vast majority of Wales’ other councils.

The proposed cuts also have a financial element and cutting secondary school transport is expected to save the council nearly £1.1 million annually.

Parents and pupils stage protest over proposed school bus cuts

The council’s spending on home-to-school transport has ballooned in recent years, and cost £12.2 million in the last financial year.

That represented an overspend of £2.5 million on what was previously budgeted for the service.

By comparison, school transport cost Caerphilly County Borough Council £6.4 million in 2015, the authority said.

However, the proposals have proved contentious, with hundreds of respondents to a council consultation saying the cuts would have a direct impact on them or their children.

The majority of respondents who held that view said they would instead have to rely on a car for school transport.

Cabinet member ‘not happy’ with proposed cuts to free school transport

Backbench councillors agreed in January to defer a decision on the proposed cuts until after road safety reviews could be carried out on routes pupils would likely have to walk, if their buses were axed.

The council commissioned “external road assessments”, costing an estimated £192,500, and their findings will be reported to the joint scrutiny committee in early September.

That committee will make a recommendation on the proposals – and cabinet members will meet the following week to consider the backbenchers’ opinions.

A decision is expected at the cabinet meeting due to be held on September 17, and any changes agreed will come into effect in September 2026.

School transport arrangements for pupils who have additional learning needs (ALN) were not included in the proposals and are not up for consideration.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Janine Reed

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.