Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Council abandons plans to cut secondary school transport services

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 14:42, Friday September 5th, 2025.
Last updated: 16:58, Friday September 5th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville over proposed cuts to their school bus
Pupils and parents protesting in Wattsville over proposed cuts to their school bus

Proposals to cut school transport services in Caerphilly County Borough have been abandoned, just days before councillors were due to revisit them.

The council announced today (Friday September 5) proposed changes to the minimum qualifying distances for free bus transport “will not go ahead”.

The plans would have meant some secondary school pupils walking six-mile round trips to school each day.

Cllr Sean Morgan, who leads the local authority, said the decision to scrap the proposed cuts was down to public feedback and the findings of recent safety inspections.

“We have listened carefully to the feedback from the community, as well as considering the findings of recent risk assessments undertaken along the various walking routes,” he said.

Cllr Sean Morgan, Labour councillor for the Nelson ward
Cllr Sean Morgan, leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council

Backbench councillors delayed the initial cuts earlier this year, when they insisted road safety checks should be carried out on the borough’s 39 main school walking routes.

A report on those inspections deemed one route “unsafe” – between Fochriw and Idris Davies School (in Abertysswg) – and also said safety improvements would be required on a further nine major routes.

These could include clearing vegetation from roadsides, maintaining existing footways, providing dropped kerbs and improving crossing points, and adding new signposting to crossings.

Councillors were due to discuss the inspectors’ findings at a meeting on September 8, ahead of a final decision by cabinet members later in the month – but those plans have now been abandoned.

The council had already rowed back on its initial proposals by deciding to drop cuts to primary school transport provision, but intended to push on with increasing the minimum qualifying distance for free secondary school transport, from two to three miles.

Parents and pupils stage protest over proposed school bus cuts

According to Cllr Morgan, the decision to scrap all the proposed transport cuts “clearly demonstrates this Labour administration is responding positively to feedback from the community”.

“Just as we maintained our current transport policy for primary pupils, we’re now doing the same for secondary pupils,” he added. “Caerphilly remains one of only two Welsh councils offering school transport distances that are more generous than Welsh Government requirements.”

Transport for pupils who have additional learning needs was safeguarded in the council’s original proposals, so therefore was not facing cuts.

Following the announcement, Steve Aicheler, a Liberal Democrat community councillor from Machen who earlier this week questioned the council’s plans, said: “I’m relieved that the cuts have been cancelled, and I know parents across Caerphilly will feel the same.

“However, how much time and money has been wasted on traffic reports and consultations? It’s another example of poor leadership from the Labour cabinet.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Janine Reed
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.