Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Caerphilly Council to spend £900,000 on road repairs

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 13:00, Thursday August 5th, 2010.

Roads across Caerphilly County Borough are to be resurfaced after the council agreed to almost £1 million of highway improvements.

Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet recently agreed to spend £900,000 repairing roads and footpaths left devastated by the most severe winter in 30 years.

Councillor Rob Gough, cabinet member for transportation and planning said: “The extreme winter weather experienced earlier this year undoubtedly had a negative effect on the quality of our highways network, and our highways maintenance team have been working extremely hard to conduct as many repairs as possible.

“I am pleased that Cabinet agreed to this programme of works, which will complement that already being undertaken as part of the council’s Highway Maintenance Revenue budget.

“The council’s highways network is our biggest asset, estimated to be valued at approximately £1 billion, and we are committed to ensuring that our highways remain at a high safety standard for our residents.”

Major resurfacing works are set to take place on Blackwood Road in Pontllanfraith, Penallta Road in Ystrad Mynach and the A469 Lower Rhymney Valley Relief Road (Southbound).

Minor resurfacing works will take place in areas including Crumlin, Oakdale, Newbridge, Llanbradach, Caerphilly, Cefn Hengoed, Machen and Pontllanfraith.

Footways in 20 areas across Caerphilly County Borough will also be prioritised as part of the additional funding highway works.

1 thought on “Caerphilly Council to spend £900,000 on road repairs”

  1. clive bunce says:
    Friday, June 1, 2012 at 16:39

    When can we expect the roadworks to be finished at Ystrad Mynach.I was of the understanding that the improvements to traffic flow was because of the new hospital,unless someone is unaware the hospital has been open for several months.I just hope no one dies in the back of an ambulance stuck in the traffic jams that we have been experiencieng for the last 18 months or so.

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.