A-Level results for students in Caerphilly County Borough were up from last year.
The overall pass rate for learners in Caerphilly county borough schools for WJEC A Levels was 98.13% (A* to E), up on the Welsh average of 97.5%. The percentage of WJEC A Level grades A* to A was 16.89% and 72.85% of grades were at C or above.
Cllr Rhianon Passmore, Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning is keen to recognise the achievements of the students and their teachers.
She said: “These are fantastic results, which are a testament to the hard work of the students and their teachers. The results our learners have achieved are a clear illustration of their dedication and ability, as well as a reflection of the quality of teaching provided within our schools and the commitment of our teachers in helping our students to realise their potential.
“On behalf of all at Caerphilly County Borough Council – congratulations and well done to you all.”
Students at Bedwas High School celebrated the school’s best ever results with 20% gaining A* to A, 83% gaining A* to C grades and an overall pass rate of 95%.
Peter Ward, headteacher at Bedwas High School, said: “We are extremely pleased with the outcome of A-level results this year.”
Cwmcarn High School also had reason to celebrate with 100% of its students and Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni in Blackwood had its best year with 84% A* to C grades, 54% A* to B, and 21% A* to A.
St Cenydd School, in Trecenydd, had 33% passing at A* to B, 66% gaining A* to C and had an overall pass rate of 99%.
Headteacher Rebecca Collins congratulated students for their hard work and said: “We had a good spread of results across the board at A-level with students getting into their first choice of university, building on their aspirations.”
Students at Coleg Gwent’s Crosskeys Campus achieved a pass rate of 97.6% while the overall pass rate at A* to C at the campus was 77.5% – slightly higher than last year.
Principal Jim Bennett said: “Both staff and students should be extremely proud of themselves. These results, along with our excellent vocational results, are a superb testimony to the hard work and commitment of everyone at the college.”
He added: “Our Crosskeys Campus students also continue to achieve excellent results. This is a significant benchmark of the very high quality of education that Coleg Gwent offers.
“All these students have a fantastic future ahead of them and we wish them all the very best of luck as they take up their next challenge.”
Students at St Martin’s School, Caerphilly also received excellent results.
Omri Tau, 18, who got two A stars and two As, said: “I’m thrilled, over the moon. I’m going to study Chemistry at Bristol University which was my first choice.”
Head Girl of St Martin’s School, Christina Williams, 18, received three As and will go on to study Dentistry at Cardiff University.
She said: “Relief is the main emotion and pride. The hard work paid off.
“I couldn’t have done it without my dad and my teachers.”
Headteacher, Kerry Davies, said: “Overall, students seem to have got their places so I’m really pleased.
“Those students with the top grades had to work very hard for them.”
Notable results achieved by Coleg y Cymoedd students include Jodie Hartley, 18, from Caerphilly, who got an A in Business Studies and B grades in History and Sociology.
She will be going to the University of Gloucester to study Early Childhood Studies.
Jodie said: “I’m over the moon with my results, it’s a real culmination of two years of hard work. I wouldn’t have even considered going to university without the encouragement of my tutors at Coleg y Cymoedd.”