Caerphilly County Borough’s Youth Forum has voted on its main issues to tackle for this year.
The youth forum’s priority issue for the forthcoming 2016 year, as voted for by members is, ‘modernising the youth service so it fits young people’s lifestyles’. The key changes requested by youngsters in order to tackle this issue are:
• Mental health support workers are needed in the Youth Service to support young people
• The Youth Service needs a project to support LGBT young people
• Wi-Fi in all youth centres
• All projects and clubs to social media to engage young people and parents
• Leaflets to raise awareness of what the youth service is
• To open tuck shops in youth clubs
• Young people to be involved in youth workers interviews
• Young people to inspect the Youth Service
• Youth Service events such as sports days and a prom
Cllr Mike Prew, Caerphilly County Borough Young People’s Champion, said: “The Youth Forum worked tirelessly throughout 2015 to tackle their priority issue. I am confident that they will strive to deliver the same excellent results for 2016 and I look forward to seeing what they achieve during the forthcoming year.”
The Caerphilly Youth Forum ended 2015 on a high after being awarded the Youth Led Award and the Project Award as part of the British Youth Council’s 2015 Youth on Board Awards.
The Youth Led Award recognises youth organisations that provide a platform for youngsters to make a difference, while the Project Award recognised the efforts made by the Youth Forum for a project promoting healthy relationships.