A bomb scare saw homes evacuated as residents celebrated VE Day in Pontllanfraith.
A suspected WWII mortar bomb was found in a garden in Parc Bryn, but was later confirmed to be a fence post.
Gwent Police said they received a call at around 4.30pm on Friday, May 8 from a “well-meaning resident”.
A police spokesperson said “officers attended and liaised with the Explosive Ordnance Division” and after further examination, the object was “confirmed as a fence post”.
The spokesperson added: “Residents on Parc Bryn, and the nearby Bryn Road, were evacuated temporarily during the inspection, as a safety precaution in line with the standard procedure for this type of scenario.”
- “Our grandchildren will now miss all the good times they would have had with their amazing grandad”
- £60k car park extension approved to ease “chaotic” traffic issues
- Author channels own personal tragedies in story book helping children with self-esteem and grief
- £80m bid for alpine rollercoaster, new leisure centre and transport hub given cabinet approval
- “We’re not dancing for how it looks, but for how it feels” – Instructor marks 40 years teaching
Sign up to our daily newsletter
Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
From just £3 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.
Become a member today