Business owner calls for clarity over plans to reopen hair and beauty salons
News | Richard Gurner | Published: 15:55, Tuesday July 7th, 2020.
Last updated: 15:55, Tuesday July 7th, 2020
The owner of a hair and beauty salon has called for clarity over when she can reopen her business after it was closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Dr Sarah Bruton, owner of Caerphilly’s Captiva Spa, has spent weeks preparing her salon for a reopening on July 13 – a date agreed on by industry bodies – only to find out that she can’t reopen on that date after all.
The apparent change of policy was revealed by First Minister Mark Drakeford in a question and answer video on Twitter.
Hairdressers and barbers are expected to be allowed to open on Monday July 13, with appointments-only, but not beauty salons which offer a wider range of services.
In a Facebook video to customers, Dr Bruton said: “We’ve reconfigured our premises, changed our operating practices, taken training and introduced additional PPE. Some of these things have been a huge cost and exceed any current government recommendations.
“But we’ve done them we’re ready. In a Twitter Q&A, that also contained a discussion of his favourite cheese, Mark Drakeford changed his mind.
“He suggested that it’s only hairdressers and barbers who may be able to open. We can’t get any confirmation or clarity on this. There’s been no statement no press release. No alternate date. We simply don’t know what’s going on.”
Dr Bruton said her industry, which contributes millions of pounds to the Welsh economy, had been “dismissed in a passing comment”.
She added: “We do not deserve to have our futures thrown into doubt on Twitter. We require clarity, a plan of action, a thorough and scientific justification of this point of difference and the right to interrogate that because the people who are making decisions about our future, clearly don’t understand or don’t care.”
A spokeswoman for the National Hair and Beauty Federation said: “We have written to the Minister for the Economy, Ken Skates and the First Minister, Mark Drakeford asking that they reconsider delaying the reopening of beauty businesses and are currently working with Welsh Government officials on their guidance for reopening close contact services to show how this can be done safely.
“In terms of financial support for businesses that must remain closed, we have called for urgent additional grants for the beauty sector and written to the Chancellor to push for this.”
The Welsh Government has been asked to comment.
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters For the last ten years, Caerphilly Observer has provided an award-winning, balanced, and independent news service to the people of Caerphilly County Borough.
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.